Time

[Build Help] Friend is building a PC

[quote name='Time']Any suggestions on similarly priced/sized monitors?

I mean, he'll probably be loading more than just the OS off of it, but that's his primary concern.

I'll drop him down to the 64gb. Should he stick with the mid tower or bump it up to the full tower?[/QUOTE]

Hey, sorry, just got home. As long as the mid town can fit the 980, he should be fine with it, otherwise yeah, bump to a full atx

[quote name='Time']Any suggestions on similarly priced/sized monitors?

I mean, he'll probably be loading more than just the OS off of it, but that's his primary concern.

I'll drop him down to the 64gb. Should he stick with the mid tower or bump it up to the full tower?[/QUOTE]I really don't recommend downgrading. Consider the following: How big is GTA 5? 60GB. Hmm. Woops. One game, can't even store it there. Most games are 10GB or more. Some programs don't give you the choice where they install. Over time the depths of windows get cluttered up. Windows is actually 25GB. [url]http://prntscr.com/8c3k3e[/url]

I don't see the point buying a tiny SSD which will give you problems while a 256GB SSD which might still give you problems eventually (but far less) costs only 120 dollars. [url]http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct256mx100ssd1[/url]

Here: [url]http://prntscr.com/8c3l7j[/url] I also TRY to avoid putting anything else than Windows and some essential stuff on my C drive. Games and programs mostly go on G: and they are both decently filled up. Not to mention the biggest programs like adobe master collection are on D: Edited by Arix

[quote name='Arix']I really don't recommend downgrading. Consider the following: How big is GTA 5? 60GB. Hmm. Woops. One game, can't even store it there. Most games are 10GB or more. Some programs don't give you the choice where they install. Over time the depths of windows get cluttered up. Windows is actually 25GB. [url]http://prntscr.com/8c3k3e[/url]

I don't see the point buying a tiny SSD which will give you problems while a 256GB SSD which might still give you problems eventually (but far less) costs only 120 dollars. [url]http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct256mx100ssd1[/url]

Here: [url]http://prntscr.com/8c3l7j[/url] I also TRY to avoid putting anything else than Windows and some essential stuff on my C drive. Games and programs mostly go on G: and they are both decently filled up. Not to mention the biggest programs like adobe master collection are on D:[/QUOTE]

Because everyone and their mother installs GTA5 to a SSD, right? No. Games like CS:GO, maybe Call of Duty, LoL, etc. Games where loading and Ping are optimal.

A fresh install of windows is about 10gb, not more (actually, it's closer to 8gb, but I digress) not less. Lets say 50gb left on the ssd for recovery partition, and storage, etc.

If he has no use for a 120GB SSD, then why would he buy it, if a 64 will be sufficient enough :rolleyes:

[quote name='Christopher`']Because everyone and their mother installs GTA5 to a SSD, right? No. Games like CS:GO, maybe Call of Duty, LoL, etc. Games where loading and Ping are optimal.

A fresh install of windows is about 10gb, not more (actually, it's closer to 8gb, but I digress) not less. Lets say 50gb left on the ssd for recovery partition, and storage, etc.

If he has no use for a 120GB SSD, then why would he buy it, if a 64 will be sufficient enough :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]I was not aiming to be specific to GTA 5. I'm just saying games are big. And GTA 5 needs quick loading from files. (map and other). To go to a game that would fit your critera of being on an SSD, Battlefield 4 is 24GB for the BASE game. 57GB with all expansions. Byebye space.

My windows is fresh (2 weeks old) so you must be wrong. Besides, its initial size does not make up for it expanding over time, resulting back to the issue of no space.

It is Ziek who said he has no use for it. He is just following suggestions. In any case it's up to him. I believe what I said is a solid argument to not be cheap on the size of an SSD. Edited by Arix

[quote name='Arix']I was not aiming to be specific to GTA 5. I'm just saying games are big. And GTA 5 needs quick loading from files. (map and other). To go to a game that would fit your critera of being on an SSD, Battlefield 4 is 24GB for the BASE game. 57GB with all expansions. Byebye space.

My windows is fresh (2 weeks old) so you must be wrong. Besides, its initial size does not make up for it expanding over time, resulting back to the issue of no space.

It is Ziek who said he has no use for it. He is just following suggestions. In any case it's up to him. I believe what I said is a solid argument to not be cheap on the size of an SSD.[/QUOTE]

You keep naming these games as if he's going to install them all on a SSD. Like I said, CSGO, LoL, maybe dota, and other MOBA games will probably be downloaded and installed to the SSD. Important applications (he's going to do light video editing) will also be on there. I don't know about you, but 64GB is way more than enough for anyone who isn't doing a ton of work regarding it.

[quote name='Christopher`']You keep naming these games as if he's going to install them all on a SSD. Like I said, CSGO, LoL, maybe dota, and other MOBA games will probably be downloaded and installed to the SSD. Important applications (he's going to do light video editing) will also be on there. I don't know about you, but 64GB is way more than enough for anyone who isn't doing a ton of work regarding it.[/QUOTE]You just said Call of Duty mate. Where loading and ping is important. I'd imagine Battlefield 4 is one where those are important. ... Besides the games you mention are also big. 8GB, 12GB, 8GB respectively.

64GB will not be enough. Unless you put nothing on that SSD. Ultimately making it useless. What good would a fast windows be if the applications running on it are still 'slow'. xD

Ultimately, I don't care if you guys get him in future trouble because you did not feel like spending that extra $50. It seems as if it is a contest of getting the smallest SSD? Why is having alot of space so bad? It's not gonna hurt his wallet. Edited by Arix

[quote name='Arix']You just said Call of Duty mate. Where loading and ping is important. I'd imagine Battlefield 4 is one where those are important. ... Besides the games you mention are also big. 8GB, 12GB, 8GB respectively.

64GB will not be enough. Unless you put nothing on that SSD. Ultimately making it useless. What good would a fast windows be if the applications running on it are still 'slow'. xD[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Christopher'][B]Maybe Call of Duty[/B][/quote]

3 games and an OS is plenty for an SSD. That's actually great, since you seem to think Windows C:/ is 25GB. it leaves 14GB left for his video editing.

[quote name='Christopher`']3 games and an OS is plenty for an SSD. That's actually great, since you seem to think Windows C:/ is 25GB. it leaves 14GB left for his video editing.[/QUOTE]Yes and then what? What about the rest? And I don't "seem" to think that. I just took a screenshot of a 2 week old Windows folder.

and [b]MAYBE[/b] he wants to install more than what you have in mind. What if he wants to install the tool suite of a graphical editor? This usually includes photoshop, sony vegas/adobe after effects and possibly other programs aswell. (light editing works with these tools, just clarifying so you don't start about that).

Let's not forget all the recovery stuff on hidden partitions on the OS drive, which would be the 64GB small thing. And let's also not forget the additional files for hibernation and the system paging. I can keep going. Edited by Arix

[quote name='Arix']Yes and then what? What about the rest? And I don't "seem" to think that. I just took a screenshot of a 2 week old Windows folder.

and [b]MAYBE[/b] he wants to install more than what you have in mind. What if he wants to install the tool suite of a graphical editor? This usually includes photoshop, sony vegas/adobe after effects and possibly other programs aswell. (light editing works with these tools, just clarifying so you don't start about that).

Let's not forget all the recovery stuff on hidden partitions on the OS drive, which would be the 64GB small thing. And let's also not forget the additional files for hibernation and the system paging. I can keep going.[/QUOTE]

Then that is information that neither you, or I, know. Given the information, 64gb SDD would be sufficient enough.

Thread cleaned and reopened. Unless your post is ONLY about the thread itself, DO NOT POST.

Also, chipset != CPU. The AMD FX-8350 Vishera uses the RD990 chipset, which [i]support[/i] the 8-core Piledriver processor that was linked, as well as Bulldozer, Phenom, FX, and Athlon II processors, some of which are only quad-core.