Sign in to follow this  
Gemu

Suicide

[quote name='Game Master']In regards to your last paragraph; wouldn't it be considered selfish for others to expect one to remain alive? It's not their life. The same concept could be used if one expected to be able to use, let's say, your phone everyday. It's yours, this person shouldn't expect to use it everyday. It's my life, people shouldn't expect me to live it everyday.[/QUOTE]

Like I mentioned, it all comes down to whether or not the suicide is appropriately justified or not. If it is well justified, then it would be selfish for loved ones to want the person to remain living. However, if it isn't well justified, the loved ones are not being selfish - they are being reasonable. While you're technically correct that it isn't their life, you should also consider that your loved ones are a part of your life. They contribute to what your life is, such as when raising you, teaching you/sharing life experience; they are an aspect of your life. It is plain that your passing would affect them greatly, most likely for the rest of their life. So unless your suicide can be justified, it isn't exactly selfish for them to want you to live up to the potential they still believe you can soar to in a lifetime.

My apologies for the delay - I must have overlooked this. Nonetheless, you also mentioned being appropriately justified regarded suffering. In that case, living most of your known life believing that life is pointless could cause one to become greatly depressed and suffer internally. This individual could go years without speaking a word of this, in turn, causing this suffering to gradually incline. To me, I would think that's justified enough. However, I believe one should try and speak to others before enacting the end of his/her life.

Just don't suicide. It's like ending the game way too early..

[quote name='Chronicscape']I for one do not care. It's their life let them do what they want. I personally do not think one should but if they have no other option and nobody is willing to help them clear their mind then there is no alternative because their mind is so far gone and messed up by that point it's too late. But some studies have shown that people committing suicide would put a curse on their bully or whatever it may be. .I personally do not believe this either but hey who am I to judge? Anyways let them do what they think is right because in their mind there is no wrong about it. My father killed himself when i was 16 to an overdose of antidepressants. I was mad that he did it then forgave him because to him it was the only option. I dont think its selfish. It could be taken that way but hey it helped me out that it happened but im not happy still about it because hes not here. Some people cant be helped specially if you got a mother like mine making people want to kill themselves. Every man she been with has died a horrible death so go figure lol. My life however is just plain messed up to the point ive thought of it but simply thought hell no i still got things i want to do lol. But anyways OT shit happens that is out of our control.[/QUOTE]
[B]
"I for one do not care."
[/B]Its like me saying if you died, your parents wouldn't care.
Have some respect! Edited by Thee Lion

[quote name='Game Master']My apologies for the delay - I must have overlooked this. Nonetheless, you also mentioned being appropriately justified regarded suffering. In that case, living most of your known life believing that life is pointless could cause one to become greatly depressed and suffer internally. This individual could go years without speaking a word of this, in turn, causing this suffering to gradually incline. To me, I would think that's justified enough. However, I believe one should try and speak to others before enacting the end of his/her life.[/QUOTE]

Justification is perceived differently from individual to individual. You may personally believe that scenario is enough justification for suicide, while I can disagree, and without any other context, argue they should have sought help/treatment and the lack of effort for whatever reason therein doesn't justify it in my eyes. Justification in this context is an extremely perceptive notion, and as such is dynamic in interpretation.

[quote name='Slik']Justification is perceived differently from individual to individual. You may personally believe that scenario is enough justification for suicide, while I can disagree, and without any other context, argue they should have sought help/treatment and the lack of effort for whatever reason therein doesn't justify it in my eyes. Justification in this context is an extremely perceptive notion, and as such is dynamic in interpretation.[/QUOTE]

I like your perspective on this. However, I did note that one should seek assistance before enacting the end of his/her life. Great chat!

[quote name='Game Master']I like your perspective on this. However, I did note that one should seek assistance before enacting the end of his/her life. Great chat![/QUOTE]

Yeah I know you mentioned that they should seek help first at the end, but I chose to ignore it because you were contradicting yourself with my own hypothetical argument. It just made more sense to leave it out since it becomes implied that you agree with that aspect of the argument. It is actually a pretty good debating tactic, since it allows you to have more ground in dictating how the debate flows ;).

Personally, I think suicide is a pretty, blatantly put, stupid concept. For some religious purposes, I can understand it; you believe there's more than our mortal life. However, for anyone who isn't religious, I don't fucking get it.

Assuming you're not religious: there is nothing more than what our life is. How can nothing be preferable to even the shittiest situation? I think it's such a short-sighted decision, even if you're facing a terminal and painful condition. People should always hold hope and faith in their life, and if not I personally consider than, by definition, just stupid.

Personally, I think suicide is a pretty, blatantly put, stupid concept. For some religious purposes, I can understand it; you believe there's more than our mortal life. However, for anyone who isn't religious, I don't fucking get it.

Assuming you're not religious: there is nothing more than what our life is. How can nothing be preferable to even the shittiest situation? I think it's such a short-sighted decision, even if you're facing a terminal and painful condition. People should always hold hope and faith in their life, and if not I personally consider than, by definition, just stupid.

Your perception around the morality of suicide is skewed by your limited insight in life. How could you possibly compare nothing to "the shittiest situation" when there is absolutely no consistency in what that means for each individual. The depths of lows people have experienced in life will always be different. For example one person might feel that the death of their father, their role model, was their lowest point in life. However, how does that compare to a person who was orphaned at a young age and has had to struggle far more just to survive. 

Also, just because a person isn't religious, doesn't mean they don't believe in a concept of life after death (energy preservation, existence in a different dimension etc). As a matter of fact, a person can choose not follow any religion and still believe in God and the generic concept of life after death. 

You make a bold statement, 'People should always hold hope and faith in their life...'. Now if a child was abducted at a young age and kept as a slave that was repeatedly raped daily, having known no education or ordinary life, who are you to tell them they should have hope. For them, in their eyes, death may be a blessing opposed to life. The nothingness you discuss may be the hope you are requesting they have in life.