Shadowpker

Suggestions To Gain More Active Members

[quote name='Sethy']Those suggestions arent very good m8[/QUOTE]

What other way can you spruce up the Activity because RL Forums are rather bland and boring looking. Little makeover could give it a jump.

[quote name='Ikiliki']This is definitely true. I think we should start to expand, and make this a somewhat allround gaming website and community. Some of the suggestions will fit in that picture, some just don't. A RL-hosted server for example won't get us anywhere because we're a toplist. The large servers, which we rely on and get most traffic from, would simply boycott us because the competition isn't fair. That's exactly what is currently happening in Europe with Google putting their own services on top of the search results.

I'm also looking into making the website's speed a shitloaaad bigger and keeping us properly protected at the same time for a cheaper price. That'd open up more advertising opportunities for us, if we have something to advertise though :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks and making the speeds faster would be a good idea. :)

[quote name='Sethy']Those suggestions arent very good m8[/QUOTE]

Ok I would like to see you do better.

I don't think competetive games should be held in this forum. I also don't think there can be much complaining if this website revolves around an illegal activity (rsps). The greatest RSPSes right now have like 40 people online at most times. That is not so much. RSPS advancement stopped (nobody wants RS3 except for a few lost souls) and OSRS is basically an "RSPS" that is bug free and official.

That said, I don't think we should lay down the weapons and observe how this website is decaying. If you want to get more activity you will simply not cut it with solely RSPS stuff. Also generic stuff like the games section and programming/graphics discussion section is something every forum has so that is no reason to come here.

Toplists are plenty for every game. What else can there be done? Maybe attract some genuine developers that develop all kinds of applications including games. Atleast then you do not have to deal with the cumbersome copyright of Jagex AND you might get more attraction. Though the name "runelocus" will probably not appeal or come to mind when searching for a place to share your endeavours.

It's quite hard to find something good and getting a good reputation is even harder. If you wish to stick with RSPS there is the possibility of becoming a site like Bukkit or SpigotMC. Essentially a private server creator that also has a portal for plugins and mods that the community makes. Plug&Play is key there.

Though for example, I have come to the point where I feel like creating an RSPS is a waste of my time. I could do so many better things that have a future with the programming skills I have, so why would I waste that skill on something illegal that may or may not be appreciated? <-- apply that to all the major developers known in the RSPS scene and then what future does RSPS get?

TL;DR; In order to attract people from any sector you will need to create the necessity to come to you. If everyone sells vanilla icecream, you sell vanilla icecream AND vanilla icecream with chocolate. People who want the vanilla icecream with chocolate will HAVE to come to you because the others do not offer it.

-------------------------------

I also support the idea of giving Runelocus a visual overhaul. Maybe let the community help creating our own thing? I'd definetely help. Edited by Arix

[MENTION=1]Ikiliki[/MENTION]

Maybe make the top list contain all the games that let you host your own server? Make the forums around that too, if you want to have just a gaming community.

[quote name='thaBoom']Over the last year RuneLocus has lost a large amount of active members and / or moved over to other communities. I believe if we use some of these suggestions, then we could gain more active members.

We should add sections such as:

[LIST]
[*]RSPS Freebies (Configs, etc things that members were selling but instead gave away for free here)
[*]RSPS Goods Market (Items, Files etc)
[*]Ranked Sections (Donator, Extreme Donator, Staff etc)
[*]RuneScape Market (Items, Membership, Gold) - NO ACCOUNTS
[*]GFX Of The Month
[*]GFX Battles
[*]Non-Virtual / Virtual Items Sales Section
[*]Report A Scam Section
[*]Staff Applications Section (Min. 5000 posts, max rank etc)
[*]Java Programmer Battle (Each programmer writes a certain code and the best and most cleanest code, wins Programmer of the month and a rank?)
[/LIST]

Then add:

[LIST]
[*]Custom RuneLocus-Hosted Server
[*]More Ranks
[*]New Look-&-Feel
[/LIST]

I doubt these suggestions will be used, but hopefully do as then this forum will be way more awesome :)

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

[LIST]
[*]RSPS Freebies (Configs, etc things that members were selling but instead gave away for free here) [B]I don't think developers will appreciate us giving away there content for free when they expect to make money from it. That will only turn away developer from RuneLocus, making it more dead.[/B]
[*]RSPS Goods Market (Items, Files etc) [B]I don't think this is a terrible idea, but more RSPS are against RWT and might boycott RuneLocus for endorsing it. Also there's the scamming issue.[/B]
[*]Ranked Sections (Donator, Extreme Donator, Staff etc) [B]These exist, you just can't see them ;)[/B]
[*]RuneScape Market (Items, Membership, Gold) - NO ACCOUNTS [B]This was a thing but they removed it do to scammers. I don't see why considering scamming is inevitable. I think it would make a great addition and I would definitely use it. Plus I know for a fact it would bring in a lot of members. [/B]
[*]GFX Of The Month [B]This was a thing but very few people participated. In fact i think I won twice just because no one else entered. Great Idea in theory but without a community to support it, theres no use./B]
[*]GFX Battles [B]I think there is a section for this, but if not then i'm sure you can call a battle with anyone you want in the GFX section. Hell, take me up.[/B]
[*]Non-Virtual / Virtual Items Sales Section [B]Same opinion as the RuneScape Goods Section/Suggestion[/B]
[*]Report A Scam Section [B]Though RuneLocus can't really enforce any rules since they only have the power to ban, it would still be a necessary section if a market was introduced.B]
[*]Staff Applications Section (Min. 5000 posts, max rank etc) [B]Never. I choose RuneLocus over more populated RSPS networks because the RuneLocus staff is really mature and not corrupt. An applications section would be stupid and plague the forums with a bunch of plebs.[/B]
[*]Java Programmer Battle (Each programmer writes a certain code and the best and most cleanest code, wins Programmer of the month and a rank?) [B]That's easier said then done. Not only would it face the same problem that SOTW/SOTM would face, but it is also very hard to judge.[/B]
[/LIST]

Then add:

[LIST]
[*]Custom RuneLocus-Hosted Server [B]Really dumb suggestion. RuneLocus would loose nearly all it's traffic, and we would be branded as one of the most corrupt networks in the community[/B]
[*]More Ranks [B]Like what?[/B]
[*]New Look-&-Feel [B]I like this look, Although a darker theme that is maintained along side this one wouldn't hurt[/B]
[/LIST]

[quote name='Ikiliki']This is definitely true. I think we should start to expand, and make this a somewhat allround gaming website and community. Some of the suggestions will fit in that picture, some just don't. A RL-hosted server for example won't get us anywhere because we're a toplist. The large servers, which we rely on and get most traffic from, would simply boycott us because the competition isn't fair. That's exactly what is currently happening in Europe with Google putting their own services on top of the search results.

I'm also looking into making the website's speed a shitloaaad bigger and keeping us properly protected at the same time for a cheaper price. That'd open up more advertising opportunities for us, if we have something to advertise though :)[/QUOTE]

You've been saying that for a while but the only updates that have been made recently were:

[quote name='Cart']
- Userbar expansions [B]The expansion effects < 5% or members. Plus it's not like it really changes anything. [/B]
- Promotions & demotions [B]This didn't happen[/B]
- New Plugins & mods [B]This didn't happen, or at least I didn't notice it[/B]
- Newer Sections & retirement of non-active boards B]This happened, but it doesn't really change anything[/B]
- Further Anti-Spam measures B]Rarely ever seen/saw spam on RuneLocus ever.[/B]
- Theme and mod clean-ups globally B]This didn't happen, or at least I didn't notice it[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Not trying to criticize because obviously you have a life to worry about, i'm just saying that maybe you should think about getting on with the conversion or retiring runelocus, because at the moment your just leading on people to join a dead site about a dead industry. If anything this place is just turning into some kind of weird 4chan duplicate for veterans

[quote name='StevenAbraham'][LIST]
[*]RSPS Freebies (Configs, etc things that members were selling but instead gave away for free here) [B]I don't think developers will appreciate us giving away there content for free when they expect to make money from it. That will only turn away developer from RuneLocus, making it more dead.[/B]
[*]RSPS Goods Market (Items, Files etc) [B]I don't think this is a terrible idea, but more RSPS are against RWT and might boycott RuneLocus for endorsing it. Also there's the scamming issue.[/B]
[*]Ranked Sections (Donator, Extreme Donator, Staff etc) [B]These exist, you just can't see them ;)[/B]
[*]RuneScape Market (Items, Membership, Gold) - NO ACCOUNTS [B]This was a thing but they removed it do to scammers. I don't see why considering scamming is inevitable. I think it would make a great addition and I would definitely use it. Plus I know for a fact it would bring in a lot of members. [/B]
[*]GFX Of The Month [B]This was a thing but very few people participated. In fact i think I won twice just because no one else entered. Great Idea in theory but without a community to support it, theres no use./B]
[*]GFX Battles [B]I think there is a section for this, but if not then i'm sure you can call a battle with anyone you want in the GFX section. Hell, take me up.[/B]
[*]Non-Virtual / Virtual Items Sales Section [B]Same opinion as the RuneScape Goods Section/Suggestion[/B]
[*]Report A Scam Section [B]Though RuneLocus can't really enforce any rules since they only have the power to ban, it would still be a necessary section if a market was introduced.B]
[*]Staff Applications Section (Min. 5000 posts, max rank etc) [B]Never. I choose RuneLocus over more populated RSPS networks because the RuneLocus staff is really mature and not corrupt. An applications section would be stupid and plague the forums with a bunch of plebs.[/B]
[*]Java Programmer Battle (Each programmer writes a certain code and the best and most cleanest code, wins Programmer of the month and a rank?) [B]That's easier said then done. Not only would it face the same problem that SOTW/SOTM would face, but it is also very hard to judge.[/B]
[/LIST]

Then add:

[LIST]
[*]Custom RuneLocus-Hosted Server [B]Really dumb suggestion. RuneLocus would loose nearly all it's traffic, and we would be branded as one of the most corrupt networks in the community[/B]
[*]More Ranks [B]Like what?[/B]
[*]New Look-&-Feel [B]I like this look, Although a darker theme that is maintained along side this one wouldn't hurt[/B]
[/LIST]

You've been saying that for a while but the only updates that have been made recently were:

Not trying to criticize because obviously you have a life to worry about, i'm just saying that maybe you should think about getting on with the conversion or retiring runelocus, because at the moment your just leading on people to join a dead site about a dead industry. If anything this place is just turning into some kind of weird 4chan duplicate for veterans[/QUOTE]

[B][U]For the Freebies section. I didn't mean it by that. Like contests to win RSPS tutorials etc and what not, things like that.[/U][/B]
OT: Thanks Steven.

I've updated / added new suggestions. Please check them out? :)

I wasn't just being a dick, the general gist of your suggestions have been done multiple times and it just doesn't help.

[quote name='Sethy']I wasn't just being a dick, the general gist of your suggestions have been done multiple times and it just doesn't help.[/QUOTE]

True but most of them are pretty good. I've updated most of them. I know that there once was a RS Market, but was taken down due to scams, but we can prevent scams. We just need a "middlemen only" market.

I'm gonna one-up [MENTION=3362]Steven[/MENTION]Abraham here, bare with me, eh?

[quote name='thaBoom']Over the last year RuneLocus has lost a large amount of active members and / or moved over to other communities. I believe if we use some of these suggestions, then we could gain more active members.

We should add sections such as:

[B]{This has been updated with new suggestions.}[/B]

[LIST]
[*]RSPS Freebies/Contests (Sort of like contests where you can win RSPS codes and configs.) [B]{updated}[/B] [B]{old}[/B] [B]Well, the general idea of this, would be that most snippets are sold, traded, bought, etc. This forum encourages releasing these snippets for free, because, like most communities, is for education purposes in the long run.[/B]

[*]RSPS Goods Market (Items, Files etc) [B]{old}[/B] [B]This was once a thing, a long time ago, unfortunately, too many scams happened and it just became troublesome. [/B]

[*]Ranked Sections (Donator, Extreme Donator, Staff etc) [B]{nevermind, found it lawl}[/B] [B]{old}[/B] [B]There is :-)[/B]

[*]RuneScape Market (Items, Membership, Gold) - NO ACCOUNTS [B]{old}[/B] [B]Read above.[/B]

[*]PS/XBOX Market [B]{new}[/B] [B]Read above[/B]

[*]GFX Of The Month [B]{old}[/B] Ahh, the old SOTM/SOTW - [B]See, I've tried multiple times to revamp that section, unforunately, no one is into it as much as a few members. There isn't much we can do about that as of right now.[/B]

[*]GFX Battles [B]{old}[/B] [B]Read above[/B]

[*]Non-Virtual / Virtual Items Sales Section [B]{old}[/B] [B]read above[/B]

[*]Report A Scam Section [B]{old}[/B] [B]read above[/B]

[*]Sprite Section (A section for rsps sprites) [B]{new}[/B] [B]This good be good, but I feel like it would be filled with shit sprites. (over-custom items, bad designs, etc)[/B]

[*]Reupload Section (A section for reuploaded files of expired/dead download links) [B]{new}[/B] [B]Uh, can you explain this one a little bit?[/B]

[*]Higher speeds [B]{new}[/B]
[*]Better security [B]{new}[/B]
[*]Spam prevention system [B]{new}[/B]
[*]Ban detector system [B]{new}[/B]
[*]External Download area [B]{new}[/B]

[*]Better Donator Section [B]{new}[/B] [B]How so? This is extremely vague.[/B]

[*]RuneLocus Template & Theme Section (Where content team builds web templates and releases them for free) [B]{new}[/B] [B]I could see this being a thing, IF there is enough people on the forums that enjoy theming.[/B]

[*]Staff Applications Section (Min. 5000 posts, max rank etc) [B]{old}[/B] [B]Absolutely not.[/B]

[*]Java Programmer Battle (Each programmer writes a certain code and the best and most cleanest code, wins Programmer of the month and a rank?) [B]{old}[/B] [B]It seems like you've gone through my thread history and just took what sounded good to you. Again, not enough actual 'programmers'[/B][/LIST]

Then add:

[LIST]
[*]Custom RuneLocus-Hosted Server [B]{old}[/B] [B]Sorry, but no. We're not R-S[/B]

[*]More Ranks (Programmer, Graphic Artist, Trusted, Service Provider etc) [B]{updated}[/B] [B]{old}[/B] [B]I feel there are enough ranks on the website.[/B]

[*]New Look-&-Feel (New theme or logo? We need to change the rainbow color in the 'o' [B]{updated}[/B] [B]{old}[/B] [B]The forums was just given a revamp a couple (read: 6+) months ago.[/B]

[*]More RSPS Tools in the Toplist (Webclient Builder, Client File Virus Scanner, etc) [B]{new}[/B] [B]In my opinion, I feel like that would require too much moderation/observation. [/B]
[/LIST]
[MENTION=1]Ikiliki[/MENTION] [MENTION=1573]Cart[/MENTION] [MENTION=12]Ziek`[/MENTION] [MENTION=188358]Envo[/MENTION]

I doubt these suggestions will be used, but hopefully do as then this forum will be way more awesome :)

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

There ya go. Edited by Christopher`