Indirectmw

Requirements to make your own OSBuddy

Hey forums,

I have recently decided to create my own client with features for Old School like OSBuddy but have failed trying to scope any helpful information. The advice I seek is

- Programs you recommend
- Languages needed and where you suggest learning them
- Helpful sources if needed

AND

- Any advice you have to offer

Keep in mind when you answer that I do plan on completing this task and have plenty of years to put into it! I appreciate all the help I can get even if it isn't in my specified questions.

tl;dr = free vip 4 my t00lkit 2 ever1 who helpslolking:gg:

Cheers,
Future Old School Toolkit Owner Edited by Indirectmw

use .net framework 4.5 also if this is your first time doing something like this i would start off doing some small things then work your way up to something like a Runescape client swiftkit

I wouldn't use .NET framework for this, I would stick to Java.

[quote name='Hash']I wouldn't use .NET framework for this, I would stick to Java.[/QUOTE]

This. The RuneScape client is written in Java, so even if your excuse to use .NET would be performance related it'd be questionable seeing as you would rely on a JVM anyway.

Use Java. The client already depends on Java anyway as noted by [MENTION=38556]Nouish[/MENTION], so no sense in depending on two VM's in order to run your software. Also you have (nearly) infinite power with reflection to hook into the existing client to fetch/modify values at runtime, which is how all the bot clients did (do?) things. Might as well take the same approach to provide some useful features in your client.

Also, why not start an open source project out of it? This makes things more trustworthy (unlike OSBuddy, which is ran by a hacker and is closed-source, while still being used by a huge population of OSRS players and half-endorsed by staff), and also allows for community driven development.

Produce something better than OSBuddy that doesn't require payments!

I would touch up my code a lot, but here's something to get you started: [url]http://www.runelocus.com/forums/showthread.php?96423-Runeception-2-0-Unofficial-Release-Open-Source[/url]. I'm sure a bit has changed since then, but Jagex usually sticks to the core; most likely a few changes to the authentication side.

From what I've seen of the source, Apollo is a great framework to apply a project like this to. It's implementations and networking is quite well designed, and I heavily recommend it for learning purposes. However, if you could make due without learning and would rather it be easier on yourself, as opposed to efficiency, you could just edit content within a standard Project Insanity server. I wouldn't recommend this, as to make it efficient would require a mass reapplication of the majorty of the source code. In the long run, if you made it efficient, it probably couldn't even be classified as Project Insanity at that point. That's only if you were to make the source as a whole efficient. If you wanted, you wouldn't need to put all of that extra effort in.

However, as for any tips I have; annotative scripting. I cannot stress this enough! So many people don't utilize annotative scripting as they should, it's extremely efficient. If it were me, I would apply this to skills, task handlers, and etc. I recommend Ruby for this sort of thing. You could have a folder that contains the scripting implementations, then call an initializer for it to have this be ran in your server. It makes your code very efficient and quite organized. Packaging is always key in large projects like such.

EDIT:
Unless you are making a framework or new server, disregard what I said above. After re-reading the thread, I noticed sentences that didn't quite make sense to me. After doing some research, I discovered that OSBuddy is a botting program correlated to RuneScape. Forgive my ignorance, I haven't played RuneScape in years, so I'm not completely up-to-par with the terminology. Edited by Game Master