Sign in to follow this  
Derpec

Want to learn?

Yes, I wanna learn "Java" and yes I've already looked at the Topic "Java Basics" it didn't help me much.

I'm a high school student and wanted to go into a college in summer to learn the basics of java but I don't think they do that here in Florida at CF

I'm going to be majoring in Computer Science and Engineering when I get out of high school and get my associates degree but first I wanna learn Java before I even go there and start learning so I have a bit of understanding of what I'm doing. I would like for you guys to give me some references on what I should do I'm a quick learner so that won't be a problem but I wanna make calculators, scripts for runescape, etc.

I would deeply appreciate it if I didn't get any negative comments, thank you.

Just bought a Java for Dummies 4th Edition for $22.00 online, it'll be here on Wednesday. Wish me luck people.

Not sure what reference I could give, but I learned Java basics through RSPS/watching tutorials, and I'm not even sure what else because it's been a while. I'm halfway into my first year of majoring in Computer Science, they'll probably have you take a C++ class. Learning the basics in Java will help you in that class (you can use your basic knowledge of Java to compare/relate with C++), it sure has helped me. Best of luck!

[quote name='Vesta Main']Not sure what reference I could give, but I learned Java basics through RSPS/watching tutorials, and I'm not even sure what else because it's been a while. I'm halfway into my first year of majoring in Computer Science, they'll probably have you take a C++ class. Learning the basics in Java will help you in that class (you can use your basic knowledge of Java to compare/relate with C++), it sure has helped me. Best of luck![/QUOTE]

Thank You, I'm hoping this book that I ordered will be useful, I just want to learn the basics and become at least a "Intermediate Programmer for Java" Their is like 25 chapters in this book 484 pages, so we'll see how it turns out.

I wouldn't bother buying books unless you like having a physical reference (some people prefer this). You can find almost anything you need to know using existing tutorials and examples on the interwebs, plus Java's API documentation and tutorials.

I have a vague and old guide stickied in this board if it helps you at all. I wish there was a way to allow modifications from a group of trusted users, as I can't be bothered to update or maintain something that has been done better many times over all over the web.

My best advice is to simply dive in head first. Start with really simple tasks. Break things, experiment, google errors and understand why they occurred.

It's also nice to start some projects that have potential for future improvement as you can always go back to expand with new things you've learned. Plus this will give you experience will building off of existing code, which is what you'll be doing in 99% of jobs you'll have in software development. Also, this allows you to start learning to design projects in a flexible and scalable way, which is important.

Write code with the expectation that someone else who knows nothing about your code will some day have to make modifications. The best code is not clever; it is understandable, modular, and well designed to account for future expansion.

The more code you write the more you'll develop an intuition for designing projects and a clear understanding of best practices. Edited by Trey

Well all university's by standard that do Computer Science you have to learn Java it's one of the core subjects to learn. So i suggest you go learn from [url]http://lynda.com[/url] it's a great resource and easy step by step guide! Helped me a lot with PHP and i've send endless amount of tutorial sessions for it! :)

To all my fellow programmers be weary into which profession you go into. I majored in computer science so I can be a professional programmer. I learned 5 languages got tutors and all of that just to find out that you get paid very badly unless you are the top of your class and get picked up by like microsoft. I invite you all to try to get into network security. You get paid more. You still program but you also learn all of these other skills and it's way more fun! I am enjoying it so much more! If your 100% passion is to be just a programmer then go for it. But if you are still on the fence I would definitely advise network security. I had no one to tell me or mentor me when I got into school so I thought I would try to just give some of my advise/opinions to all of you.

Java is defiantly the subject to learn when dealing with any rsps related coding or even internet coding in general, although it is difficult to learn its language it is very rewarding in then end. I suggest taking baby steps until you feel comfortable with more difficult tasks.