Slik

Child board of programming

I have been recently reading some posts and noticed that activity (still) seems to be an issue. I was thinking about the bigger picture and it came to me that we need more reason for people to actively use the site. Considering the fact that the forums are fairly restricted by the niche industry of RSPS, we could potentially look at providing "resources" for 'new to programming' members of the site.

This could include providing links and perhaps a general overview of IDEs. We could include a variety of video guides and tutorials on the basics of java (and possibly other languages eventually) that our members can then post feedback on such as how helpful it was. We could even showcase opensource projects that are either donated by members or gathered for external sources (allowed and easily obtainable for educational purposes), which we could then have our more experienced members provide a detailed explanation of the mechanics behind the code. This would not only allow members to better understand java, which they can then utilize in their RSPS projects, but it will also encourage the more knowledgeable members to step up and take part in explaining the various open source projects that available in that child board.

I believe that once the ball starts rolling we could create initiatives to further develop the resources we have available. For example, host a competition that gives a cash prize to the person who best improves a documented open source project, and explains how and why their improvements benefit the quality of the previous code. This could entice more knowledgeable members from other communities interested in making some money, while at the same time attracting new visitors interested in learning from prestigious members of other communities.

My plan for 2015 is actually the opposite. I want to turn RuneLocus more into a toplist than it already is, I want to focus on advertisement of private servers more than anyone else does. Something comparable to Top100Arena and the others, but with a small forum attached to it.

Those who visit this website are not interested in programming, not even the development of RuneScape private servers, that's basically what ************ is for nowadays. Our visitors mostly want to find and play a private server. I think it's better to change this forum into a somewhat more general discussion kind of forum instead of a forum that focuses on programming and development. Besides, I don't think it's a good idea to split our forum into more child boards than we already have, at least not with the low activity we have right now.

This forum won't become active. Perhaps a little more, but it won't become a forum with more than 50 people online at all times of the day, we need to get that out of our heads :-P

[quote name='Ikiliki']My plan for 2015 is actually the opposite. I want to turn RuneLocus more into a toplist than it already is, I want to focus on advertisement of private servers more than anyone else does. Something comparable to Top100Arena and the others, but with a small forum attached to it.

Those who visit this website are not interested in programming, not even the development of RuneScape private servers, that's basically what ************ is for nowadays. Our visitors mostly want to find and play a private server. I think it's better to change this forum into a somewhat more general discussion kind of forum instead of a forum that focuses on programming and development. Besides, I don't think it's a good idea to split our forum into more child boards than we already have, at least not with the low activity we have right now.

This forum won't become active. Perhaps a little more, but it won't become a forum with more than 50 people online at all times of the day, we need to get that out of our heads :-P[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well I think that isn't a bad decision at all. I had previously mentioned several ideas to improve the toplist to Cart, I'll try and remember as many as I can.

[LIST]
[*] Indicate whether servers have climbed or dropped positions in the ranks
[*] Perhaps allow a method of server owners to directly show their active users online on their toplist adverts.
[*] Introduce a small icon which can direct a user to the server's advertisement thread on the forums.
[*] A potential new revenue source could be adjusting the mechanics of the toplist so that clicking on premium spots can open a WebM advertisement of the server. This would be useful to showcase actual game play rather than an animated gif banner which lists features unique to the server. This could be charged at a premium, allowing non premium paying advert banners to continue as before.
[*] I was considering the toplist from a user's viewpoint and it doesn't come across as a user-friendly tool to search for a RSPS you can play on. We could do more, for example utilizing keywords that server owner's can place relating to their advertisements in a similar fashion to how YouTube operates. A user can then cycle through various different servers by filtering through the features they are looking for.
[/LIST]

I had a looot more ideas but I've honestly forgotten most of them.

[quote name='Slik']Hmm, well I think that isn't a bad decision at all. I had previously mentioned several ideas to improve the toplist to Cart, I'll try and remember as many as I can.

[LIST]
[*] Indicate whether servers have climbed or dropped positions in the ranks
[*] Perhaps allow a method of server owners to directly show their active users online on their toplist adverts.
[*] Introduce a small icon which can direct a user to the server's advertisement thread on the forums.
[*] A potential new revenue source could be adjusting the mechanics of the toplist so that clicking on premium spots can open a WebM advertisement of the server. This would be useful to showcase actual game play rather than an animated gif banner which lists features unique to the server. This could be charged at a premium, allowing non premium paying advert banners to continue as before.
[*] I was considering the toplist from a user's viewpoint and it doesn't come across as a user-friendly tool to search for a RSPS you can play on. We could do more, for example utilizing keywords that server owner's can place relating to their advertisements in a similar fashion to how YouTube operates. A user can then cycle through various different servers by filtering through the features they are looking for.
[/LIST]

I had a looot more ideas but I've honestly forgotten most of them.[/QUOTE]
I'll remember those. I definitely like them. It's time to bring some innovation to the world of RSPS toplists :-P

[quote name='Ikiliki']I'll remember those. I definitely like them. It's time to bring some innovation to the world of RSPS toplists :-P[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree, if I have any more ideas I'll be sure to post them in this board ;).

You could also maybe look into changing the actual look and feel of the toplist. I think we can make it look a lot better by not having it static as it is now, but have the toplist dynamically display changes in votes so you can get a feel for the traffic at points such as vote resets. I think by dynamically displaying changes along with what I mentioned above you'll see people climbing, perhaps through some sort of animation rather than just refreshing the list. That way I think the toplist will be visually more competitive and in turn more attractive for others to come and advertise their server.

But more importantly you can create a framework for the toplist that contains these updates that acts as a template for other areas to expand into, so you're not restricted to just RSPS. For example, you could create some sort of registration process for a toplist subject. So for arguments sake lets say I want to create a toplist for MineCraft servers and you realize that there is other people also displaying interest in advertising their servers to get more players, you can then use the same toplist platform across other games rather than just RSPS. This way you can pick and choose which games you want to create a toplist platform based on demand, and once you establish yourself to be able to create an advertising platform for games, it could lead to new games potentially being interested in using your platform with your track record of being able to facilitate a variety of games.

I think once you create an attractive platform, you can make this work.

[quote name='Slik']You could also maybe look into changing the actual look and feel of the toplist. I think we can make it look a lot better by not having it static as it is now, but have the toplist dynamically display changes in votes so you can get a feel for the traffic at points such as vote resets. I think by dynamically displaying changes along with what I mentioned above you'll see people climbing, perhaps through some sort of animation rather than just refreshing the list. That way I think the toplist will be visually more competitive and in turn more attractive for others to come and advertise their server.

But more importantly you can create a framework for the toplist that contains these updates that acts as a template for other areas to expand into, so you're not restricted to just RSPS. For example, you could create some sort of registration process for a toplist subject. So for arguments sake lets say I want to create a toplist for MineCraft servers and you realize that there is other people also displaying interest in advertising their servers to get more players, you can then use the same toplist platform across other games rather than just RSPS. This way you can pick and choose which games you want to create a toplist platform based on demand, and once you establish yourself to be able to create an advertising platform for games, it could lead to new games potentially being interested in using your platform with your track record of being able to facilitate a variety of games.

I think once you create an attractive platform, you can make this work.[/QUOTE]
I'm unsure about the dynamically displaying. I somehow think it'll take loads of memory because of the large amount of visitors :(

Yea, it would definately look cool, but considering most people just look at the first page and how little the ranks change at the homepage, I feel its not worth the time and effort.

Although I feel like the tagging system and expanding into different types of toplist have a lot of potential. I accually have a whole typed out system for tagging from when I used to work for that shitty toplist.

I'd love to expand into different games. Problem is just our domainname :-P

P.S since we're throwing ideas around.

Clean up the toplist a bit, some servers have been offline since 2011.