Arix

Anti-leech Rant

I hate it when releases or rather so called contributions have one or more anti-leech. I do understand people want to keep server usage somewhat to the knowledgeable people HOWEVER it does not seem like a good contribution if you break stuff on purpose so people cannot use it unless they fix it.

Consider buying a car. Your car dealer would not take out a tube of your radiator to limit usage to people who can fix it.

If the anti-leech is done out of greed I do not think the contributor should contribute their mostly stolen/copied contribution anyways. So yes it has been bothering me that people create anti-leeches, obfuscate their source or be like "you cannot do this or that" with their contributions. Ofcourse if it is something special then the latter has to be seen differently. However I am of strong belief that everything should be free to access (no anti-leech) on a site like this.

You can give feedback but don't start flaming. Edited by Arix

From my perspective,
An anti-leech is literally for the members who know [I]literally[/I] nothing and cannot fix the simplest of things.
But I still think its rude, why release work for the people who can fix the anti-leech... Obviously if they want to fix a difficult anti leech the content can easily be ripped or made by someone else

I get what your saying but I sortof disgree to an extent. If you worked really hard on a server and released it, how would you feel if some noob just rehosted your server and was making bank from it. By addind an antileach, you make sure only people with enough skill to add to the project can use it. I do think that the difficulty of the antileach should be proportional to the quality of the release. ie. "Easy PI Source for beginners!" with a bunch of incorrent paths.

[quote name='high105']From my perspective,
An anti-leech is literally for the members who know [I]literally[/I] nothing and cannot fix the simplest of things.
But I still think its rude, why release work for the people who can fix the anti-leech... Obviously if they want to fix a difficult anti leech the content can easily be ripped or made by someone else[/QUOTE]
I suppose I can agree that people who cannot do the simplest of things should not host a server. Though they wouldn't be successful so ultimately that would be a better alternative to anti-leeches.

[quote name='StevenAbraham']I get what your saying but I sortof disgree to an extent. If you worked really hard on a server and released it, how would you feel if some noob just rehosted your server and was making bank from it. By addind an antileach, you make sure only people with enough skill to add to the project can use it. I do think that the difficulty of the antileach should be proportional to the quality of the release. ie. "Easy PI Source for beginners!" with a bunch of incorrent paths.[/QUOTE]It is contradictive in my opinion. If you are not prepared for people to utilize your contribution however they wish you should not contribute. You may otherwise gain recognition of the contribution if it is high quality or something noteworthy.

I have released a few with some anti-leeches but that's for my benefit only, like so I can go in-game and get admin for myself. But apart from that I think there is no need for anti-leeches. But yeah, i'm selfish but people ask me for a way to remove this anti-leech and I'm more than happy to tell them.

[quote name='Arix']It is contradictive in my opinion. If you are not prepared for people to utilize your contribution however they wish you should not contribute. You may otherwise gain recognition of the contribution if it is high quality or something noteworthy.[/QUOTE]

Well you still want people to utilize your contribution, just not complete noobs. Thats why I think most antileeches should be something like a missing bracket or a commented out line. This prevents people who just want to upload your server from doing so and forces them to eaither learn basic coding or use a different source.

[quote name='nattypj']I have released a few with some anti-leeches but that's for my benefit only, like so I can go in-game and get admin for myself. But apart from that I think there is no need for anti-leeches. But yeah, i'm selfish but people ask me for a way to remove this anti-leech and I'm more than happy to tell them.[/QUOTE]
I see. Things that benefit only you like what you stated are exploits though. However I suppose it's a step in the right direction if you are willing to tell them (making the anti-leech ultimately useless).

[quote name='StevenAbraham']Well you still want people to utilize your contribution, just not complete noobs. Thats why I think most antileeches should be something like a missing bracket or a commented out line. This prevents people who just want to upload your server from doing so and forces them to eaither learn basic coding or use a different source.[/QUOTE]
I suppose that in the context of illegal software it is one of the few (easy) ways to "protect" your stuff from theft or whatever. I do however think that this selfish behavior is not good for the RSPS community. Ideally everyone would be helping everyone. Unfortunately that is just a dream. (Welcome to the internet I suppose?)

[quote name='Sir seppe']Same as I think about it![/QUOTE]
Yeah you are my babe.