Poanizer

Beginners RSPS Guide. (Download)

This may not be a "Tutorial" as such, but I thought it would be more of a tutorial than a download? A lot of people will think its shitty im sure. But I dont care, just re uploading it to other RSPS forums.

I decided to write a beginners guide to RSPS mainly because I think a lot of people who post in the "help" section would benefit from it and it would also help any New people starting in the RSPS community who do not know anything about coding or creating there own RSPS.

I made a thread to get the communities opinion on it. Got a lot of good feedback ;p but regardless I decided I should still just finish it. Its still a "Good Contribution" I suppose and if it helps atleast one person then I guess it was worth it.

[B]So here it is:[/B] [url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tpk0yxt592z1eo/Beginners%20RSPS%20Guide.pdf[/url]

[B]Download:[/B] [url]http://goo.gl/8heSXl[/url]

[SPOILER=Contents of the Guide]Contents

In total its 64 Pages with 10,819 words.

I tried to explain everything well enough for people to understand. If not then they could always ask on a forum.

The most Asked Question .................................................................................................................... 4
What is Revision? ................................................................................................................................. 4
Main Revisions .................................................................................................................................. 5
317: ............................................................................................................................................... 5
503: ............................................................................................................................................... 5
667: ............................................................................................................................................... 6
718: ............................................................................................................................................... 6
742: ............................................................................................................................................... 7
Getting Started with RSPS’s ................................................................................................................. 7
What is a source ............................................................................................................................... 7
What is a client ................................................................................................................................. 8
What java do you need ..................................................................................................................... 9
Recommended tools .......................................................................................................................... 10
Notepad++ ...................................................................................................................................... 11
Sublime Text ................................................................................................................................... 11
Eclipse ............................................................................................................................................. 12
What is Compiling? ............................................................................................................................ 13
Main files to edit ................................................................................................................................ 14
Player.Java ...................................................................................................................................... 14
Settings.Java ................................................................................................................................... 15
Coordinates ................................................................................................................................. 17
What is Syntax .................................................................................................................................... 18
Java operations and other handy stuff .............................................................................................. 21
Math Signs: ..................................................................................................................................... 21
Parentheses .................................................................................................................................... 22
If Statements ...................................................................................................................................... 22
How to use “Or” and “And” ............................................................................................................... 23 3

Variables ............................................................................................................................................. 24
What is a Variable? ......................................................................................................................... 24
How to create a variable ................................................................................................................. 24
How to set a variable by default ..................................................................................................... 26
How to set your Variable in code .................................................................................................... 26
Calling/Referencing Variables: ........................................................................................................ 27
A Real Example: .............................................................................................................................. 27
Functions and Arguments .................................................................................................................. 29
Functions ........................................................................................................................................ 29
Arguments ...................................................................................................................................... 30
Imports ............................................................................................................................................... 33
What are Imports? .......................................................................................................................... 33
What is a Path? ............................................................................................................................... 33
Back to Imports ............................................................................................................................... 34
Java Imports .................................................................................................................................... 35
Examples of Java Features: ............................................................................................................. 36
Common RSPS Errors. ........................................................................................................................ 36
How to Read Errors ......................................................................................................................... 36
Cannot find the symbol ................................................................................................................... 37
100 Errors ....................................................................................................................................... 37
Reached end of file while parsing ................................................................................................... 38
Exception in thread main ................................................................................................................ 39
Null Pointer Exception .................................................................................................................... 39
How to Port Forward.......................................................................................................................... 40
Ipconfig ........................................................................................................................................... 40
Making your IPv4 Static .................................................................................................................. 42
How to setup a Hamachi Server ......................................................................................................... 45
Why choose a Hamachi Network? .................................................................................................. 45
How to set up a Hamachi Network ................................................................................................. 45
How to Join a Hamachi Network ..................................................................................................... 49
Virtual Private Servers - VPS .............................................................................................................. 50
What you need to know about VPS's .............................................................................................. 50
Minimum VPS Requirements: ......................................................................................................... 51
What is the Best VPS Company ....................................................................................................... 51 4

VPS Land: .................................................................................................................................... 52
BurstNet: ..................................................................................................................................... 52
TrentaHost: ................................................................................................................................. 53
Allowing a port through Firewall ....................................................................................................... 54
For a Local Setup or Hamachi Server. ............................................................................................. 54
For a VPS running Windows 2008 Server ........................................................................................ 55
Allowing the port through............................................................................................................... 57
Dangers of RSPS’s ............................................................................................................................... 61
Exe Commands ............................................................................................................................... 61
Visible Ip Address ............................................................................................................................ 62
Java Drive By ................................................................................................................................... 63
Thanks/Credits ................................................................................................................................... 63
End Review ..................................................................................................................................... 64[/SPOILER]

And im sure I will get a lot of people saying that stuff in there is incorrect etc, but I dont care, it was just my intepretation of it :P

Damn dude, I skimmed through it.

Seems like you put alot of time and effort into it!

Great job!

Extraordinary piece of literature here, Highly recommend any new coders read this!!

It hurts to think "professional" people would use Eclipse. The professional ones use intelliJ or Netbeans. I like reading this though. Good job.

EDIT:
Could you maybe talk a bit about javadoc? Javadoc is quite important and is almost unseen in most RSPS sources. This is an incentive for people to do simmilar things. :3 Original indeed. Edited by Arix

[quote name='Arix']
EDIT:
Could you maybe talk a bit about javadoc? Javadoc is quite important and is almost unseen in most RSPS sources. This is an incentive for people to do simmilar things. :3 Original indeed.[/QUOTE]
Ooh, good idea

[quote name='Arix']It hurts to think "professional" people would use Eclipse. The professional ones use intelliJ or Netbeans. I like reading this though. Good job.

EDIT:
Could you maybe talk a bit about javadoc? Javadoc is quite important and is almost unseen in most RSPS sources. This is an incentive for people to do simmilar things. :3 Original indeed.[/QUOTE]

intellij is probably better but you cant beat notepad++ ;)

no-one seems to understand javadocs and although there incredibly useful for a multitude of things they;re very underused within the rsps community

To be quite honest I have no idea what javadoc is :P

I never really learnt java I just sort of got the jist of it after a while. I just wrote it to start of beginners, who potentially dont always want to learn java. It would give them the basics of the Private Servers so they can edit things without just downloading and loading an unchanged source.

Looks very detailed, good job.

Pretty detailed. Should definitely help the newbies out there.

[quote name='Poanizer']To be quite honest I have no idea what javadoc is :P

I never really learnt java I just sort of got the jist of it after a while. I just wrote it to start of beginners, who potentially dont always want to learn java. It would give them the basics of the Private Servers so they can edit things without just downloading and loading an unchanged source.[/QUOTE]

if the sources had javadoc, RSPS would probably be totally different. People might not even have to leech. Basically it's the documentation, the manual if you will that comes with the code in form of a website and (is made out of) commentary inside the source files.