Gircat

Opinions on "gravedigging"

So I've been seeing a lot of posts not only on RuneLocus but other forums also about "grave digging".
I don't really feel as if a member should be punished for grave digging because of the archives forums create.
Let's say someone is searching for help on google and come across and archive and post on that thread. It really isn't their fault for searching something and being redirected to an archive page. But that's just my opinion.

Nevertheless; what are your opinions on it?

I agree, I suppose in different circumstances it can be different, say if it was a help thread you searched for and wanted to thank the person even if it was a post from way back or you needed help, would that be considered a gravedig? then again I suppose the thanks button is there.

[quote name='Night Night']I agree, I suppose in different circumstances it can be different, say if it was a help thread you searched for and wanted to thank the person even if it was a post from way back or you needed help, would that be considered a gravedig? then again I suppose the thanks button is there.[/QUOTE]
I'm don't really understand that rule on any forum. Figured I'd get a few opinions. lolking

[quote name='Gircat']I'm don't really understand that rule on any forum. Figured I'd get a few opinions. lolking[/QUOTE]

Its a good topic to bring up, pretty sure I get posts deleted all the time for gravedigging when i'm thanking someone or giving constructive criticism

Guest ShishirG2
[quote name='Night Night']Its a good topic to bring up, pretty sure I get posts deleted all the time for gravedigging when i'm thanking someone or giving constructive criticism[/QUOTE]

"When I'm thanking someone"
There is a thanks button m8

"giving constructive criticism"
If a user posted a signature 4 years ago, and you post your criticism on it now, their probably gone and/or don't give a fuck.

It's called gravedigging because they are brought back up with irrelevant posts. If it was something relevant (which it probably isn't since its a old thread) then it'd be valid, but that is very rare.

[quote name='Night Night']I agree, I suppose in different circumstances it can be different, say if it was a help thread you searched for and wanted to thank the person even if it was a post from way back or you needed help, would that be considered a gravedig? then again I suppose the thanks button is there.[/QUOTE]

Did you not read above Shishit. And im pretty sure signatures from 4 years ago are already gone off the world map by now mate.

There's really no point to make a post on the thread though, because you can just PM them. Like ShirShir said, all it does is brings a topic back up which is outdated/irrelevant. There is a thanks button, and a PM/VM system if you really feel the need to thank them.

I don't think it should be punishable since it's such a simple and harmless thing to do. If a thread was created, then it should have the option to reply to no matter what set date. If the case was to not reply to threads older than 60 days, then the rest of the threads should be locked.

[quote name='Dean']I don't think it should be punishable since it's such a simple and harmless thing to do. If a thread was created, then it should have the option to reply to no matter what set date. If the case was to not reply to threads older than 60 days, then the rest of the threads should be locked.[/QUOTE]Thank god you actually know what I'm talking about. I agree 100%

If it's a tutorial or something actually useful, I don't care. If it's something stupid and pointless, I delete the gravedig. If it's a random-ass thread that someone used just to get the required 5 posts, then I will delete the post, lock the thread, and infract the person.