Sign in to follow this  
firesparq

Reducing Cache Sizes

Question

Hey all,

Just a quick question. I was wondering if there is a means to compress the size of the clients cache.

For example a source I'm looking at now has a cache of 220mb, which is slightly ridiculous for players to have to download to run the server.

Hopefully someone will know.

Cheers

Firesparq

10 answers to this question

My cache is like 670mb.. Only takes about an average of 3 minutes to download for players.

[quote name='Hope']My cache is like 670mb.. Only takes about an average of 3 minutes to download for players.[/QUOTE]
your kidding:confused:

670 MB in 3 minutes that is impossible ....

[quote name='Hope']My cache is like 670mb.. Only takes about an average of 3 minutes to download for players.[/QUOTE]

What a troll.

[quote name='Mod Script']What a troll.[/QUOTE]

Not really...

I bet it depends hardly on internet speed... You can't download 670mb with 3min if you got 1mb upload..

[quote name='Hope']Not really...[/QUOTE]

So if I have low speed Internet with 7MB download speed, I can download your cache in 3 minutes? I'm not saying it's impossible but you saying "Average of 3 minutes" , is preposterous.

[quote name='Mod Script']So if I have low speed Internet with 7MB download speed, I can download your cache in 3 minutes? I'm not saying it's impossible but you saying "Average of 3 minutes" , is preposterous.[/QUOTE]

7MB/s for download speed is pretty good though.. So I'm confused on what you're trying to say..with 7MB/s you most likely can download 670mb within 3mins.

[quote name='Mod Script']So if I have low speed Internet with 7MB download speed, I can download your cache in 3 minutes? I'm not saying it's impossible but you saying "Average of 3 minutes" , is preposterous.[/QUOTE]

7MB/s for download speed is pretty good though.. So I'm confused on what you're trying to say..with 7MB/s you most likely can download 670mb within 3mins.

Didn't mean to double post x-x, so mod or someone delete this comment.

[quote name='Divine-X']7MB/s for download speed is pretty good though.. So I'm confused on what you're trying to say..with 7MB/s you most likely can download 670mb within 3mins.[/QUOTE]

Depends on upload speed. Yet again, just an example.

I believe Firesparq is talking about 562 cache, which downloads the cache in whole and extracts it to the c:/ drive before a player is able to connect to the server. I also believe Hope is is referring to 718+ cache which is much larger but doesn't download in whole before allowing you to connect, instead it connects to the source and downloads slowly as you play. In regards to the original post, unless you can create a way for your client to connect to the source and update the cache from there, I think having the players download the full cache before connecting is the only route. Good luck.

Sign in to follow this