Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Van de Maele

Trying to get into RSPS. Info is scarce. Help is welcome.

Question

Hello.

Nostalgic for runescape, and being too cheap to pay for membership on the new oldschool.runescape.com servers, I had decided to look for a runescape private server. Not really finding what I was looking for, I became intrigued with hosting one myself.
I remember when I was younger I downloaded the cheezscape server, and tried to run that, but failing to even install java properly back then made me give up.

Now, I am a programming major, and I've been looking for a good base to start with. I compiled and ran the starter pack, but even the gui is not complete?
I'm not asking for a fully featured source, as I see nobody really likes to share anything on here, but I'd like to recreate the classic runescape experience. I'm not interested in servers that give you a shitton of items, and everything modified to be crazy and over the top just for PKing. That's just more work for me to restore. I'd even like the classic login screen.

After this, I discovered the 2006remade source, and it looked perfect! Just what I was looking for. Initial problems after importing it in eclipse:
It spewed a lot of no-args errors, but some googling told me that the version of the xstream lib was outdated for the current java version. Updated that to 1.4.4 and no more errors! The server compiled, and I was excited to log in and play. Only... The client gave an error when I tried to compile it. This time not a broken library it seemed, but an actual bug in the code? Null-pointer error while trying to create an object called mac, an object made by the network stack, it appears to be the mac-address? I scrolled through the code to see for what it was being used, but unable to find it elsewhere, I commented out a few lines of code, and it compiled. Both server and client started fine but when I tried to log in, it timed out. I found the IP address in client.java, and changed that to localhost, but still no cigar. Does anyone know why this is happening? Could it be the lines of code I commented out? If I uncomment them, the code doesn't compile! Any solution to that? This is the code I commented out, some of the code was already commented out to begin with. It's in signlink.java, which I suppose is handling the logging in? I may have broken it then.

[QUOTE] public final void run()
{
//try {
//InetAddress address = InetAddress.getLocalHost();
//NetworkInterface ni = NetworkInterface.getByInetAddress(address);
//mac = ni.getHardwareAddress();
//for (int i = 0; i < mac.length; i++) {
//System.out.format("%02X%s", mac[i], (i < mac.length - 1) ? "-" : "\n");
// }
//macAdd = byteArrayToInt(mac, 0);
//System.out.println("Byte Array MAC Address Converted To Int:" + macAdd);
//} catch (UnknownHostException e) {
//e.printStackTrace();
//} catch (SocketException e) {
// e.printStackTrace();
//}[/QUOTE]

If there's no solution to this problem, is it worth it to start working on the starterpack? There seemed to be no NPCs anywhere, though there were some in the cfg file. Any tutorial to get them in the game? Also a lot of other things are very awkward and broken, like coins not stacking in the inventory etc...
There seemed to be no progress saving, or any kind of credentials checking? I could log in with any set, but it wouldn't save it.

Is any work being done on a tutorial on how to expand the starterpack? It's not very intuitive for a beginner. Edited by Kenny Van de Maele

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Sign in to follow this