Sign in to follow this  
Rotavele

Jagex shutsdown Rotascape

So earlier today I got an email from Jagex. Thinking it was just a phish or scam, I looked at the full original codes located here:

[CODE]Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.220.115.82 with SMTP id h18csp124570vcq;
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:08:03 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.229.137.20 with SMTP id u20mr3807401qct.84.1344726482571;
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:08:02 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from ebm3.cheetahmail.com (ebm3.cheetahmail.com. [65.125.54.125])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id k6si1029661qct.51.2012.08.11.16.08.02;
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.125.54.125 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.125.54.125;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.125.54.125 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="======W3u2B0gOjiYrJ/hXsti36Q======"
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 23:08:01 -0000
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Received: (qmail 59004 invoked by uid 108); Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:08:01 -0000
Reply-To: "RuneScape" <[email protected]>
Subject: Copyright Notice
To: [email protected][/CODE]

Seeing as I had been updating my server daily and such only had a maximum load of 30 on at one time, I began to wonder... Why was my server targeted by Jagex and not servers featuring thousands of players?

I ignored the email and deleted it (Foolishly). If I recall correctly it gave me a login for Jagex.com and told me to log in and discuss it with them if I had any disputes.

Knowing I had previously seen servers and scapes shut down by Jagex over copyright issues, It began to frighten me, then again I remembered that it always takes around 30 days for them to even process it. When returning home from a shopping trip with some of my girls, I had logged onto my website. ([url=http://rotascape.net]Jagex Games Studio - Free Online Browser Games[/url]) to find the normal shutdown page.

The control panel I attempted to access was literally unaccessible. I contacted my web host (Who I am a close friend of) and he told me over the phone due to copyright legislations I had to give it up. However I could fight it.

Upon digging into more information on how I could fight it, I researched it. Due to not being in the United States, but being in Romania (One of the countries that do not have laws such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and have not ratified ACTA.)

It was technically legal to run the RS-PS. Then came Jagex's hook, the VPS that the server is ran on is located in Chicago, IL.

---------------------------

Anyways my problem is that I don't know what to do. Obviously I am not going to fight it, because it would take a ton of money and I do not have that money nor did my server allow donations (I purposely didn't take donations.)

Jagex has taken control of my website, and it really is not allowed. I have lost access to my IPB License Key (Located on the website forums). Which I paid 175$ for. Ofcourse I can get it back from IPB, but the forums and server was worked extremely hard on daily. (We made TONS of updates, as we updated it daily). The team working at Rotascape had completed marvelous wonders and patched tons of bugs from a source that was basically a massive bug trap.

What do I do from here? Luckily I had made a back up of my files (Just hours before it was taken down) so my private server work and website isn't lost. However, I can't exactly just make a new website and such.

EDIT: I would also like to say that the website, domain, and VPS was just over a week old. How did Jagex get any authority to confiscate either of those?

If you don't redistribute the client or edit the cache, there's no copyright issues. .______.

[quote name='Rotavele']So earlier today I got an email from Jagex. Thinking it was just a phish or scam, I looked at the full original codes located here:

[CODE]Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.220.115.82 with SMTP id h18csp124570vcq;
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:08:03 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.229.137.20 with SMTP id u20mr3807401qct.84.1344726482571;
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from ebm3.cheetahmail.com (ebm3.cheetahmail.com. [65.125.54.125])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id k6si1029661qct.51.2012.08.11.16.08.02;
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.125.54.125 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.125.54.125;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.125.54.125 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="======W3u2B0gOjiYrJ/hXsti36Q======"
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 23:08:01 -0000
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Received: (qmail 59004 invoked by uid 108); Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:08:01 -0000
Reply-To: "RuneScape" <[email protected]>
Subject: Copyright Notice
To: [email protected][/CODE]

Seeing as I had been updating my server daily and such only had a maximum load of 30 on at one time, I began to wonder... Why was my server targeted by Jagex and not servers featuring thousands of players?

I ignored the email and deleted it (Foolishly). If I recall correctly it gave me a login for Jagex.com and told me to log in and discuss it with them if I had any disputes.

Knowing I had previously seen servers and scapes shut down by Jagex over copyright issues, It began to frighten me, then again I remembered that it always takes around 30 days for them to even process it. When returning home from a shopping trip with some of my girls, I had logged onto my website. ([url=http://rotascape.net]Jagex Games Studio - Free Online Browser Games[/url]) to find the normal shutdown page.

The control panel I attempted to access was literally unaccessible. I contacted my web host (Who I am a close friend of) and he told me over the phone due to copyright legislations I had to give it up. However I could fight it.

Upon digging into more information on how I could fight it, I researched it. Due to not being in the United States, but being in Romania (One of the countries that do not have laws such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and have not ratified ACTA.)

It was technically legal to run the RS-PS. Then came Jagex's hook, the VPS that the server is ran on is located in Chicago, IL.

---------------------------

Anyways my problem is that I don't know what to do. Obviously I am not going to fight it, because it would take a ton of money and I do not have that money nor did my server allow donations (I purposely didn't take donations.)

Jagex has taken control of my website, and it really is not allowed. I have lost access to my IPB License Key (Located on the website forums). Which I paid 175$ for. Ofcourse I can get it back from IPB, but the forums and server was worked extremely hard on daily. (We made TONS of updates, as we updated it daily). The team working at Rotascape had completed marvelous wonders and patched tons of bugs from a source that was basically a massive bug trap.

What do I do from here? Luckily I had made a back up of my files (Just hours before it was taken down) so my private server work and website isn't lost. However, I can't exactly just make a new website and such.

EDIT: I would also like to say that the website, domain, and VPS was just over a week old. How did Jagex get any authority to confiscate either of those?[/QUOTE]
guys its acutually controlled by jagex ltd..holy shit, now ur scaring me..make a 000webhost website and use that?

Did your server contain high revision content?

[quote name='Orient']If you don't redistribute the client or edit the cache, there's no copyright issues. .______.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cart']Did your server contain high revision content?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i extracted the gamepack myself and decrypted it for the client. The Cache was also extracted directly from the Runescape website and began to code it myself (With help ofcourse). The server keys were done by myself. Pretty sure thats why they were so eager to shut it down even though it was so small D:

[quote name='godswords']guys its acutually controlled by jagex ltd..holy shit, now ur scaring me..make a 000webhost website and use that?[/QUOTE]

You have no idea what you are talking about. Let me show you how a website works.

Use a whois tool if you would like to know someone's webhost.

Before you claim that this is fake because for some reason the logo isnt working, Feel free to Ctrl+V to view source and see the logo is directly from Jagex's website.

For some reason people seem to be so onto that it's fake? I don't really understand why people suspect someone wants to pay for all this, then put that up... It kind of flabberghasts me. Feel free to post again if you have something more respectful and intelligent to say. Please also look up your arguments before using them to make sure you know what you are talking about -_-.

get a vps and webhosting from your home country because then jagex cant inforce anything upon you as you will be 100% legal

Unfortunately offshore VPS hosting is so much more expensive outside of the United States. The website can be retained and I am working on getting it back. The VPS I currently have (Windows VPS) is about 30 a month. It has been confiscated but if I get one in Romania the VPS price would be outrageous. At this time I think I am just going to be doing tutorials for people on Runelocus. I think this is one of the first communities I have been to where the majority of players aren't asshats.

[quote name='Rotavele']Unfortunately offshore VPS hosting is so much more expensive outside of the United States. The website can be retained and I am working on getting it back. The VPS I currently have (Windows VPS) is about 30 a month. It has been confiscated but if I get one in Romania the VPS price would be outrageous. At this time I think I am just going to be doing tutorials for people on Runelocus. I think this is one of the first communities I have been to where the majority of players aren't asshats.[/QUOTE]

[url]https://srsvps.com/vps.html[/url]

there fairly cheap and are hosted in romania, webhosting might be abit more expensive but you can start taking donations to cover the cost

[quote name='fatmess'][url]https://srsvps.com/vps.html[/url]

there fairly cheap and are hosted in romania, webhosting might be abit more expensive but you can start taking donations to cover the cost[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem. I made Rotascape on the grounds no donations would ever be taken, because most servers charge money for items. It was going to be done cosmetic items would be given for donations but, I just don't think that'll bring in enough :/ thanks for the help though. I do appreciate it.

I think what I will do is just educate servers on how to improve themselves. One day I'll probably become a dev for one to help them out. I just mainly like for players to find and enjoy the server rather than people find a server looking out for money :/

[quote name='Rotavele']Thats the problem. I made Rotascape on the grounds no donations would ever be taken, because most servers charge money for items. It was going to be done cosmetic items would be given for donations but, I just don't think that'll bring in enough :/ thanks for the help though. I do appreciate it.

I think what I will do is just educate servers on how to improve themselves. One day I'll probably become a dev for one to help them out. I just mainly like for players to find and enjoy the server rather than people find a server looking out for money :/[/QUOTE]

you could just accept donations for nothing in return as a "thanks" for hosting the server and developing it, if you have any knowledge on 317 pi it would be great for you to come and join our project as a dev