`Tyluur

Linux Mint as only OS?

How would I make Linux Mint the only available operating system on my computer? I received a warning saying I only have 1.1GB of available RAM left and I like it more than Windows.

Is there anything important on that OS? If so...

Move everything you want to keep onto an external hard drive

Pop in the installation disk

Choose install Linux Mint

There should be an option to replace Windows 7 with Linux Mint, if not, just delete the windows partition in Linux's AIO partition-er.

Install

Simple.

[quote name='Christopher']Is there anything important on that OS? If so...

Move everything you want to keep onto an external hard drive

Pop in the installation disk

Choose install Linux Mint

There should be an option to replace Windows 7 with Linux Mint, if not, just delete the windows partition in Linux's AIO partition-er.

Install

Simple.[/QUOTE]
[MENTION=28]Christopher[/MENTION], I installed linux mint without a CD, I got it straight from [url]www.linuxmint.com[/url], downloaded and installed so I could try it.

[quote name='`Tyluur'][MENTION=28]Christopher[/MENTION], I installed linux mint without a CD, I got it straight from [url]www.linuxmint.com[/url], downloaded and installed so I could try it.[/QUOTE]

You could of said that in the thread.

[quote name='`Tyluur'][MENTION=28]Christopher[/MENTION], I installed linux mint without a CD, I got it straight from [url]www.linuxmint.com[/url], downloaded and installed so I could try it.[/QUOTE]

Grab the ISO then, and make a bootable disk.

[url]http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100724164255AAaFjNQ[/url]

[quote name='Faab234'][url]http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100724164255AAaFjNQ[/url][/QUOTE]

... I already posted the answer 3 posts up.

So I fucked up Windows by uninstalling it with Ubuntu OS-uninstaller. Then I'm starting to install Linux Mint from a usb drive, and...
[quote name='"Tyluur"']
I get this error: [CODE]The 'grub-efi' package failde to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.[/CODE]

when I try installing it. its linux mint and im very frustrated. i have spent hours on end trying to fix this, can anyone tell me what to do??[/QUOTE]

[quote name='`Tyluur']So I fucked up Windows by uninstalling it with Ubuntu OS-uninstaller. Then I'm starting to install Linux Mint from a usb drive, and...[/QUOTE]

Use a CD, not a USB....

[quote name='`Tyluur']I only have 1.1GB of available RAM left [/QUOTE]

Shit, are the RAM gnomes out again?

You meant disk space, not RAM, unless your sticks are being stolen by some gnomes that only come out at night and sell them for profit.

Anyways, best way to go about this would to have not touch anything on your computer, secure all your files you want/need, get your Windows key for potential future use, then pop in an install disk and have it wipe everything, but apparently you fucked it up.

What could be the problem: check to see if it is even booting off the flash drive, when your computer starts up and some words should be at the bottom, it will tell you what key to press to edit settings or boot order (it varies by BIOS) and make sure CD (if you burn it onto a CD, other wise put USB) is at the top.

Let me know how this goes, I don't think it'll work but it may, if it failed I'll try to think of something else.