BZB

Do you believe in other life forms

if earth can have life on our planet. im sure there are other planets that can have living things on them, we just haven't come across them yet.

Take my model, for example.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/ichJJ.png[/url]

Just because we haven't encountered other life doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Neil Degrasse Tyson compared dissmissing the possibility of other life to "taking a cup full of water from the ocean and stating that there are no whales in the ocean". The chances of us being able to communicate with another life form is incredibly small. Think of the fact that life has been on earth for about 3.5 billion years, yet we've only been able to communicate via radio waves in the past century, and only able to reach space in the past 50 years.

So, out of 3.5 billion years of life, we've only been able to communicate outside of our planet for about 100. That means that we've only been able to communicate outside of our planet for .000003% of life's existence. Assuming that life takes at least just as long to develop elsewhere (though obviously it's possible to be faster), the chances of us both being technologically advanced enough to contact each other is incredibly small.

Even if we did, what are the chances that they'd have a comparable enough intelligence to even acknowledge our existence as thinking life? :
[video=youtube;9sDtbTsmJcE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDtbTsmJcE[/video]

There are so many dramatic variables involved that I would be surprised if we ever "communicated" with another life form entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to discover life elsewhere, however. For some reason in discussions like this people imagine or equivalents just floating somewhere else in space.

People don't think about the possibilities in different DNA structures, life not based on carbon, the huge variances in intelligence among life, and how long it has taken life to develop into humans. Edited by Trey

This idea of "Aliens" and "Martians" is ridiculous, but the idea of other life forms is true. We live in the milky way galaxy, which we have not yet witnessed all of it, and there are thousands of other galaxies. What are the chances that things were not formed in the trillions and trillions of years that have passed.

[url]http://www.runelocus.com/forums/showthread.php?68391-Do-you-believe-in-other-forms-of-life[/url]

Wat

[quote name='Cloudd']This idea of "Aliens" and "Martians" is ridiculous, but the idea of other life forms is true. We live in the milky way galaxy, which we have not yet witnessed all of it, and there are thousands of other galaxies. What are the chances that things were not formed in the trillions and trillions of years that have passed.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the idea of Martians is ridiculous, simply because we've seen Mars and know that there is no intelligent life there. But why is it any more ridiculous to believe that intelligent and highly evolved life is somewhere out there, and not ridiculous to believe that simple life is?

[quote name='Sethy']I agree that the idea of Martians is ridiculous, simply because we've seen Mars and know that there is no intelligent life there. But why is it any more ridiculous to believe that intelligent and highly evolved life is somewhere out there, and not ridiculous to believe that simple life is?[/QUOTE]

In my post I was more referring to developed life and single-celled lol. If you check my post again, I didn't specify so your comment was kind of irrelevant. :\

Quite simply, yes I do. There are billions of solar systems among billions of galaxies. Out of those billions of galaxies there are undoubtedly half a dozen planets/moons per solar system. The chances are there is life out there, intelligent or not. I believe there is life elsewhere in our own solar system. Probably on one of Jupiter's moons.

There was also a recent news report stating that scientists believe there are billions of super Earths out there, as they've already found many.

There has to be another Planet that has life on it. This isn't the only Planet to have the materials we have lol.

Yes, I believe. There can be lots of life forms in our universe. It is difficult to imagine how they look like.