Time

Laptop heat issue

Hey guys, I've got a question. My laptop has been getting really hot recently. Not sure why, as the only thing I've been doing is watching youtube videos, and occasionally playing on Minecraft. It got so bad that just a few minutes ago, when I went to eat some food for 30 minutes, I came back to my room and it smelled like something had been burnt. I just left my laptop on my bed with RuneLocus open.

Any suggestions/tips on how to keep my laptop cool, and what the burning smell came from?

[quote name='Time']Hey guys, I've got a question. My laptop has been getting really hot recently. Not sure why, as the only thing I've been doing is watching youtube videos, and occasionally playing on Minecraft. It got so bad that just a few minutes ago, when I went to eat some food for 30 minutes, I came back to my room and it smelled like something had been burnt. I just left my laptop on my bed with RuneLocus open.

Any suggestions/tips on how to keep my laptop cool, and what the burning smell came from?[/QUOTE]

shut off your laptop and let it rest

[quote name='BZB']shut off your laptop and let it rest[/QUOTE]

Every time it gets hot? It gets hot within 20-30 minutes of being on.

Could be dust, generally heat gets out from the side, check if you can feel the air coming out.

I once saw a laptop described as a place where no self-respecting CPU would ever want to be. It's basically true. As the electricity goes through all the parts of your computer, it creates heat. The battery will get hot also. Now you just put a lot of things that can reach quite high temperatures in a case with decent airflow into a small cramped box (obviously with changes to the hardware to reduce heat and battery usage, but it's the same concept), it's going to get quite hot.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to try and clean any place that allows air to get in/out, then, if it's not to much of an hassle, buy a laptop cooler. Newegg sells a few and I'm sure you could get some at like a Walmart.

[quote name='Time']Every time it gets hot? It gets hot within 20-30 minutes of being on.[/QUOTE]

buy a laptop cooling fan then you can buy one at Wal-Mart i think the links below just show you what they look like there's even cooling stands and i'm not saying this will fix the problem it just might help.

[url]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=laptop%20cooling%20fan&SRCCODE=WEBGOO0102A&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCs81CjCE&gclid=CL6Rt9Ldoa8CFQrCtgodp3JlaA[/url]

[url]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&category_id=7028&~ck=anav&ST=laptop%20cooling%20pad&dgc=ST&cid=80299&lid=2043673&acd=s1HeFavLo,8970200063,901q5c14135[/url]

and you can just do what Time said and buy the cooler

[quote name='2kbarrows']Could be dust, generally heat gets out from the side, check if you can feel the air coming out.[/QUOTE]

Just cleaned it a few days ago.

[quote name='Josh']I once saw a laptop described as a place where no self-respecting CPU would ever want to be. It's basically true. As the electricity goes through all the parts of your computer, it creates heat. The battery will get hot also. Now you just put a lot of things that can reach quite high temperatures in a case with decent airflow into a small cramped box (obviously with changes to the hardware to reduce heat and battery usage, but it's the same concept), it's going to get quite hot.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to try and clean any place that allows air to get in/out, then, if it's not to much of an hassle, buy a laptop cooler. Newegg sells a few and I'm sure you could get some at like a Walmart.[/QUOTE]

I would buy a new one, but right now I'm saving for a build. It'll still be a month or two before I have the money though, so I want to make sure this one doesn't burn itself before I do have the money.

try safe mode with networking, see if theres a big diffrence in the time it takes to heat up. probably have alot of hidden software on your laptop, that starts up when you turn it on?

Have you left it on your bed, or you've placed it so the air can get out of the laptop?