Modest Build
Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooler Master 400W ATX12V Power Supply

Priced at $360, the G1.Sniper 2 is $50 cheaper than the original G1.Sniper. Nonetheless, it's a lonely territory in the Z68 market as few products can demand such a high price. Like Asus' ROG motherboards, Gigabyte's G1.Killer series targets hardcore users by including additional hardware on-board such as a dedicated sound chip by Creative and a network controller from Bigfoot Networks. Those extras are backed by a fierce matte-black military theme (note the magazine-style heatsink) that is sure to attract gamers. Those niceties make the G1.Sniper2 one of the most expensive Z68 motherboards available, which begs the question: are you getting your money's worth?

In my opinion, I dont think so. A few fancy heatsinks, plus a network and sound card chipset built-in does not constitute a $230 premium [This board is $360 board, compared to a good $130 Z68 motherboard, the difference, or premium is $230.]

Something tells me I could get a better sound card and perhaps network card for the $115 each from my (practical) artificial figures above.

How about a clear cmos button on the back for the hard core gurus. Or a link that hooks up a clear cmos jumper to a USB port on front of your rig. Then throw on a Gigabyte USB dongle thats nothing more then a button so you dont have to reach behind the machine to press it.

An OC button, really? Thats telling me the board is for the boys with more money than sense.

And to think if you were blowing money away like that why not upgrade to the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor? Edited by rammstien

[quote name='rammstien']Priced at $360, the G1.Sniper 2 is $50 cheaper than the original G1.Sniper. Nonetheless, it's a lonely territory in the Z68 market as few products can demand such a high price. Like Asus' ROG motherboards, Gigabyte's G1.Killer series targets hardcore users by including additional hardware on-board such as a dedicated sound chip by Creative and a network controller from Bigfoot Networks. Those extras are backed by a fierce matte-black military theme (note the magazine-style heatsink) that is sure to attract gamers. Those niceties make the G1.Sniper2 one of the most expensive Z68 motherboards available, which begs the question: are you getting your money's worth?

In my opinion, I dont think so. A few fancy heatsinks, plus a network and sound card chipset built-in does not constitute a $230 premium [This board is $360 board, compared to a good $130 Z68 motherboard, the difference, or premium is $230.]

Something tells me I could get a better sound card and perhaps network card for the $115 each from my (practical) artificial figures above.

How about a clear cmos button on the back for the hard core gurus. Or a link that hooks up a clear cmos jumper to a USB port on front of your rig. Then throw on a Gigabyte USB dongle thats nothing more then a button so you dont have to reach behind the machine to press it.

An OC button, really? Thats telling me the board is for the boys with more money than sense.

And to think if you were blowing money away like that why not upgrade to the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor?[/QUOTE]

Finally, another person other than Chad, Toon, and I that know what the fuck they are talking about.

[quote name='Christopher']Finally, another person other than Chad, Toon, and I that know what the fuck they are talking about.[/QUOTE]

I have a G1.Sniper 2.... Its nice and all but I'm glad it was a birthday gift...

Thermaltake?

I'd rather kill myself rather than wait for the PSU to do it for me.

Thermal(tacky) make terrible products.