Zykev2

PSU, Motherboard, or Graphics card Malfunction? [URGENT]

I already assume you do daily pc maintenance.. :p

Update your drivers and check to see if anything is out of the ordinary in your computer (wire isn't plugged in, fan not working, etc)..

If you think it's your video card, remove the card from your pc for a couple of hours and see how it runs.

Looks like the problem is heat, I'd guess, the motherboard. The CPU doesn't normally heat up. Although, my video card on my other PC does seem to heat up when I play games for a large amount of time.

Well 80C is damn hot even for a GFX card.

That could be some of the problems with it shutting down. If it is working fine just back up the important stuff in case it all goes down from there. Otherwise it might just need a new PSU. Could also be a good time to update parts if you could spare the money.

[quote name='Friss']Well 80C is damn hot even for a GFX card.

That could be some of the problems with it shutting down. If it is working fine just back up the important stuff in case it all goes down from there. Otherwise it might just need a new PSU. Could also be a good time to update parts if you could spare the money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, but it only shut off when I moved the computer, other than that it was working fine. You know what I could do is buy a new GFX card and a new PSU instead of a whole new computer. That case I get the best of both worlds and won't have to worry about determining if its a graphics card problem or a PSU problem. I don't think its a motherboard problem is it?

This is my graphics card

[img]http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/video_cards/XFX%20GeForce%208800%20GTS%20320MB/XFX8800GTS-001LG.jpg[/img]

Doesn't seem like it and a GFX and PSU upgrade is always good. Plus if you had to further down the line you could upgrade the motherboard and CPU.

[quote name='Friss']Doesn't seem like it and a GFX and PSU upgrade is always good. Plus if you had to further down the line you could upgrade the motherboard and CPU.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm looking at getting the Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT, its a great price and better than mine now (Mine now is perfectly fine for what I'm doing) and I'm wondering, do you think I should order the same PSU?

[quote name='Zykev2']Yeah I'm looking at getting the Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT, its a great price and better than mine now (Mine now is perfectly fine for what I'm doing) and I'm wondering, do you think I should order the same PSU?[/QUOTE]

No, that PSU looks awful. How much are you looking to spend?

Also, the 9800GT is quite old now. We're already three series ahead of that and heading into four.

It's an decent card still but it will become quite old quite quickly. I'd recommend something more... futureproof.

[quote name='Zykev2']The fans are working fine, that was my original suspision but the main PSU fan (as well as my GPU, CPU, and other fans) plus the Turbo fan on my PSU works great. Plus I think that if it was still an overheating problem it would power up for atleast 10 seconds :p.[/QUOTE]

My computer used to turn off only when it played RuneScape, or a game that took a bit of space to run on the computer.

[quote name='Dean']My computer used to turn off only when it played RuneScape, or a game that took a bit of space to run on the computer.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't playing anything or doing anything when the computer shut off, it was just on the desktop screen. My computer has always been able to run WoW and other high spec requirement games 100% fine. This is a new problem, there is no reason this computer crashes because of Runescape, its too good for it.