najimur

fibre optics

i'm currently on talktalk, i'll leave them for bt, then threaten bt if they dont give me fiber optics then i'm going to virgin where its like half the price.

or vice versa

[quote name='najimur']i'm currently on talktalk, i'll leave them for bt, then threaten bt if they dont give me fiber optics then i'm going to virgin where its like half the price.

or vice versa[/QUOTE]

It's not that simple.

You can't just phone up BT and demand fibre optic broadband.

It's an ongoing project, there is funding and they country will be getting fibre in the future.

I suggest you contact your local council and ask how they will spent their BDUK (Broadband Development UK) funding.

[URL="http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/telecommunications_and_online/7781.aspx"]http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/telecommunications_and_online/7781.aspx

[/URL]Read the "What can I do" part in particular.

Virgin might not even have fibre optic in your area and their ADSL package is useless.

If you PM me your post code I can assist a little further but until then there's not much more I can tell you.

because your admin, i trust you with my post code but dont ever give it to anyone or use it for any other reason. there is a data protection policy, if you use the data for any reason other than the reason you have the data then you are liable and may get sued.

so i'l pm you it?

[quote name='najimur']because your admin, i trust you with my post code but dont ever give it to anyone or use it for any other reason. there is a data protection policy, if you use the data for any reason other than the reason you have the data then you are liable and may get sued.

so i'l pm you it?[/QUOTE]

I completely understand.

The post code simply allows me to evaluate connectivity options in the area.

I have never and never will sell any personal information on to third parties.

A PM will be fine.

OK.

Sadly your exchange is very small (~2000 houses) which is similar to mine (~1800).

Neither Virgin or BT have fibre optic broadband in your area.

I suggest you try and get in contact with your local council in that case.

hmm 2k houses is quite alot

if everyone in my area switched to bt then do you think they would do it?

because my dad is the most popular person in our area :P he owns the local curryhouse and everyone loves him

[quote name='Voltimolt']You needed another modem because the plan you were using needed a specific modem to handle all the traffic. Which was a High Speed Fibre Optic.
You get different modems for Dial-up, for ADSL, for ADSL+2, for Cable and for Fibre Optic.

All the incoming cables are all different, so that's also another reason why you need another modem, a modem to support your cable.[/QUOTE]Don't forget VDSL and VDSL2
>.> VDSL2 is faster than fibre optic.

[quote name='zillascape'] VDSL2 is faster than fibre optic.[/QUOTE]

False fact of the day.

VDSL2 has a maximum of 100Mb/s (0.1Gb/s).
Fibre has a maximum of 10,000Mb/s (10Gb/s) or more.

Also, 2k houses isn't a lot.

That's considered small.

My local area (not me sadly) is getting fibre and that's 6000.

For Fibre you ideally want 10,000+ houses.

ok, we live near farmland

i'll ask my dad if he can sell some of his airline shares to start building houses :P jokes, his airline shares are worth 0 pennies lol