najimur

fibre optics

i thought that my antenna gets the signals for the phoneline.

so if i joined bt, phoned them up saying give me fiber optics. i'm paying too much for something that isnt worth while then they might put it there?

kk

also toon, i've already tried the BT fiber optic tracker and they said they will send me an email like 6 months before they put it there.

[quote name='najimur']i thought that my antenna gets the signals for the phoneline.

so if i joined bt, phoned them up saying give me fiber optics. i'm paying too much for something that isnt worth while then they might put it there?

kk

also toon, i've already tried the BT fiber optic tracker and they said they will send me an email like 6 months before they put it there.[/QUOTE]

The General reply to a complaint as: "I'm paying too much for what I'm getting, I'm moving to Virgin Media, bye" is usually them offering you a higher package & maybe even cheaper. If you ask them nicely, they won't give 2 shits, if you threaten to move to another company - that's when they start throwing offers at you. Regardless, they won't install fibre optic lines for just 1 household, it has to have a high demand or profitable for them. So if you live in a village full of pensioners, don't expect it any time soon.

You can use Fibre Optic in your own house however as Friss said it would only speed up your local area network plus it wouldn't really be worth it seeing as it's pretty expensive.

[quote name='najimur']i thought that my antenna gets the signals for the phoneline.

kk

also toon, i've already tried the BT fiber optic tracker and they said they will send me an email like 6 months before they put it there.[/QUOTE]

BT's tool is absolute rubbish.

BT said in the summer than an area near me (not me sadly) will get getting fibre late this year, been delayed to early 2012.

BT's tracker says they're not getting fibre and have no plans to. /facepalm

How big is your exchange?

i'm in the country side, probably like 5 years before they do give me fiber optics :( and good idea smudge

[quote name='najimur']i'm in the country side, probably like 5 years before they do give me fiber optics :( and good idea smudge[/QUOTE]

What county are you in?

Certain counties actually have projects for FTTx in rural areas.

I got Fibrenet a few days ago;
All we had to do is just replace the modem, which wasn't even needed for it to be activated.

toon, i'm exactly on the border between solihull and warwickshire, there is only one sign which seperates them on the road that i'm on and im exactly opposite that sign which seperates them

also mercenary, fibrenet as in like the ISP rolled it out for you or you did it yourself?

[quote name='najimur']toon, i'm exactly on the border between solihull and warwickshire, there is only one sign which seperates them on the road that i'm on and im exactly opposite that sign which seperates them

also mercenary, fibrenet as in like the ISP rolled it out for you or you did it yourself?[/QUOTE]

Everything went automatically.
We were on smallband before, and all I had to do was call, and they changed it through their network to fibrenet and I was off the smallband.
I don't even know why I had to go get another modem.

[quote name='Mercenary']
I don't even know why I had to go get another modem.[/QUOTE]

You needed another modem because the plan you were using needed a specific modem to handle all the traffic. Which was a High Speed Fibre Optic.
You get different modems for Dial-up, for ADSL, for ADSL+2, for Cable and for Fibre Optic.

All the incoming cables are all different, so that's also another reason why you need another modem, a modem to support your cable.