najimur

fibre optics

i'm not sure this is the right section but i couldnt find anything else

well i been researching fibre optic for ages, over 3 hours actually. and i still dont understand it.

is fibre optic something that you have to have installed in your house or is it something that has to be installed somewhere in your area?

because BT will never put fibre optic near me.

so if i put fibre optic's in my house instead of normal metal telephone wire and connected it to something that turns the light into an electric current will i get fast broadband?

i know basics like even a spec of dust can make the connection slower

can some one explain it to me in some detail please. rep for whoever enlightens me :)

The ISP will only use Fibre Optic in high demanding area's such as Cities, large towns etc. So if you live somewhere secluded or where there is a low demand they won't spend Thousands of Pounds on Fibre Optic unless they know it's going to be worth it.

i know that because they said that they have no plans for us.
but what if i install it in my own house?

You can't install it yourself...

It's has to connect to your ISP and you need council approval to like access the cabling underground or something.

underground? oh crap, theres no way of doing it by installing it into my antenna and then into a coverter?

BT fitted fireoptic in my area.. before i was like, dreaming and thiking how sick every ones fast net speeds was.. i only used to hit 180 kb/s at this time, now i can hit download speeds of 30mb/s on my dads pc, its awesome:o but BT had many complaints in my area about it, so they fit, it, just give them a call saying the speed of your internet for what your paying is shit or something my mum did xD

You could install Fiber optics line in your house but it would only speed up your local network. (The connection between all the computers in your house)

You will not see any change in speed to your connection to the internet.

If you PM me your post code I can check what broadband connections are available to you and give you an idea of if/when you can expect fibre.

Think about it logically. Why would putting fibre optics only in your house give you high-speed broadband when it still has to travel through a regular line to get there?