Fellixombc

Basic PHP Security

Password Hashing.

This is a tutorial on making a basic salt function, which enhances your security in general.

Why should I hash my passwords?
You are responsible for keeping your user's passwords safe. If your database is ever compromised (well, if it is, you have a bigger problem on your hands rather then the passwords), and your passwords are hashed n salted, theres a good chance that the 'hacker' cannot 'crack' them.

First, lets start out with hash functions.

The two most typically used hash functions are: md5 and sha1. Sha1 is better then md5 because sha1 has a 160bit hash-value opposed to md5 which has a 126bit hash-value. Want more security with hashes? Look into other functions, such as sha256, etc.

Writing out first salt function.

Its a very easy thing to do, in fact, its about a total of 6 lines, in all!

<?php
function salt($password) {
$salt = 'RANDOM_CHARACTERS_NUMBERS_HERE';
return sha1($salt.$password);
}
?>
[/PHP]

Lets go through the function line by line.

[PHP]
$salt = 'RANDOM_CHARACTERS_NUMBERS_HERE';

Here, we are basically setting the salt, the salt is suppose to be a random/long string, that contains numerals, characters, etc.

return sha1($salt.$password);

Here, we are hashing the password with the salt, so, if the password was "qwerty", before we hashed it, it would be "RANDOM_CHARACTERS_NUMBERS_HEREqwerty", and after we hashed it, it would be completely different.

Sql Injection saftey

Sql injections are bad, really bad, especially if you have a quite large database.

Sql injections are security exploits which allow you to do many things, one of which, drop a table in the database. The best way to make your application sql injection safe, is the simple function mysql_real_escape_string();

Basically, when a user inputs data into a database, it runs a query. In this query, harmful sql commands can be inputted. The mysql_real_escape_string function strips the query of any harmful sql commands.

So how do I use it?

<?php
$query = sprintf("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = ".$username,
mysql_real_escape_string($username));
?>
[/PHP]

Its that easy, simply just use the sprintf function, and the run the mysql_real_escape_string function on anything that is inputted data from the user.
[/indent]

[/indent]

And thats it!

Thank you, I will be using this. (Credit provided ofc)

sha512 is what the cool kids use by the way.

Thank you.

Edited by Faab234

Very Nice Tutorial, I'm 100% Sure alot of people will be using this:)

no problem guys

sha512 is what the cool kids use by the way.

haha

Good post! Good for newbies! :)

Good tutorial for the starters. I would suggest using this (salt) as a hash instead of md5.

You could add more about mysql injection striptags/slashes and things :D nice tut though

For the salt it would be a lot better instead of using a default character based set. You create a random word and number generating system kind of like how vBulletin hashes the password. Also, md5 and salt is a lot better than sha1 and salt. There both pretty much impossible to decrypt but md5 has a better reputation of password hashing.