Trey

The Basics of Java

"AVOID STATIC. Static is typically used for mathematical operations where calling on a specific object isn't necessary, or if the class is abstract and therefore cannot be initialized (we will get into that later). Other than that it is bad practice and causes spaghetti code and bad design. Creating static instances of an object can be useful at times, but you should generally only use static when necessary."

This is wrong on so many levels; I don't even know where to begin.

[quote name='whackatre']"AVOID STATIC. Static is typically used for mathematical operations where calling on a specific object isn't necessary, or if the class is abstract and therefore cannot be initialized (we will get into that later). Other than that it is bad practice and causes spaghetti code and bad design. Creating static instances of an object can be useful at times, but you should generally only use static when necessary."

This is wrong on so many levels; I don't even know where to begin.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was going for there, note that this was salvaged from pre-crash RL and reposted on 420 two years ago. Back when I wrote this and everything was still WL, new people to RSPS had a tendency to make everything static because they didn't understand object oriented programming.

Regardless this was when I was 4 years less knowledgeable, so I don't feel very inclined to attempt to justify anything I wrote here. This needs editing, but I don't have the interest or time. Edited by Trey

[quote name='Trey']Yeah, I'm not sure what I was going for there, note that this was salvaged from pre-crash RL and reposted on 420 two years ago. Back when I wrote this and everything was still WL, new people to RSPS had a tendency to make everything static because they didn't understand object oriented programming.

Regardless this was when I was 4 years less knowledgeable, so I don't feel very inclined to attempt to justify anything I wrote here. This needs editing, but I don't have the interest or time.[/QUOTE]

So this is outdated? :l

[quote name='tlozoot']So this is outdated? :l[/QUOTE]

Not really, most of the stuff in there still applies to the current java (e.g strings methods etc)

[quote name='axter']Not really, most of the stuff in there still applies to the current java (e.g strings methods etc)[/QUOTE]

Everything applies to current Java, lol, Java has never broken backwards compliance, that's kind of one their ideals. This is all the fundamentals of the language, such as data types, control structure, basic usage of Java's API, etc. Nothing in here is outdated.

[quote name='Trey']Everything applies to current Java, lol, Java has never broken backwards compliance, that's kind of one their ideals. This is all the fundamentals of the language, such as data types, control structure, basic usage of Java's API, etc. Nothing in here is outdated.[/QUOTE]

I said most because I didn't read thru it, so I wasn't sure what you had down.

The university I currently attend has a [B]very[/B] good [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course"]MOOC[/URL] for anybody that wants to get better as a programmer. It starts from very basic stuff, but there are 157 exercises and it'll get challenging after a while.

[url]http://mooc.cs.helsinki.fi/programming-part1[/url] Edited by Stacx

[quote name='Stacx']The university I currently attend has a [B]very[/B] good [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course"]MOOC[/URL] for anybody that wants to get better as a programmer. It starts from very basic stuff, but there are 157 exercises and it'll get challenging after a while.

[url]http://mooc.cs.helsinki.fi/programming-part1[/url][/QUOTE]

Decided to give this a try. Got through 11 excersizes in like 45 minutes then had to get off :( but I like it. See how far I can get without any help.

OMG!

I recently start learning programming and currently I am on PHP/MySQL, I will also learn Java but after reading your thread I got scared that it will take long time to learn and remember this all commands so I can use it when required.