Emily

Do I need VGA if I have HDMI?

Ehh so my boy friend made me buy him an xbox lols. Anyways, in our room where it is, we have a tv 72" and my desk w/ laptop & screen which is a 34" display. I also have another 27" monitor but anyways....

So I was wondering, what all do you need to hook up to your monitor, because I would rather have the graphics be destroyed on my monitor then on our tv.

The monitor handles HDMI, which to my understanding is just HD quality... and a combination of audio and video?

I looked around and found this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microsoft+-+Xbox+360+VGA+HDAV+Cable/7479604.p?id=1126591946321&skuId=7479604&st=Xbox%20360%20VGA%20cable&cp=1&lp=1

Which apparently would work, but I was wondering if it is truly needed.

Because the basic set up for tv is the common, yellow (video), red (right audio i believe), and white (left audio)

Is HDMI basically the combination of video and audio into a single cord?

Anyways....thanks if you help answer my question xD. Couldn't decide if this belonged in xbox or computers but meh.

Yeah the HDMI cord is everything audio & video .

Yeah the HDMI cord is everything audio & video .

So if I have a HDMI port on the monitor, i won't need to buy that extra shit? D:

So if I have a HDMI port on the monitor, i won't need to buy that extra shit? D:

Probably not , Just trying to remember i had a monitor when i played with my MLG buddys ... Kind of forgot the set up ..

Probably not , Just trying to remember i had a monitor when i played with my MLG buddys ... Kind of forgot the set up ..

Ok, I'll just call Best buy up tomorrow and harass them. Thanks :p

nvm read other post

Edited by rodneywark

ok if you want the xbox to be on the monitor and your monitor supports HDMI check and see if you have built in speakers and to find that out go to the manufacturer site and enter the model number of the monitor and check the specs if it supports hdmi audio and video bam xbox hdmi to monitor. if it somehow doesnt which i doubt you will need the xbox VGA cable then with the white and red RCA's on the vga cable for audio you will need to plug them into a aux port on your stereo reciever or you can use a turtlebeach gaming headset good price for x11s when i was caoching my brother halo3 team in semi-pro tournaments alot of kids had MLG astros or turtlebeach headsets so there top of line shit.... the turlebeach headsets come with rca inputs for the vga cable support.but if your your monitor supports hdmi chances are it has speakers for it.. so then the vga cable and turtle beach headset wont be needed just get a rocketfish hdmi cable from bestbuy or any other brand they recommend

hdmi is upto 1080p high definition audio and video. my aunt has a 23" hdmi monitor it has speakers built in so i think yours should too.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/turtle-beach-turtle-beach-ear-force-headset-x11-8053869/10146387.aspx?path=269e2524c58d9e8edd72d7699bae6522en02

Edited by rodneywark

nah u dont need vga if u have hdmi i currently using hdmi for m comp onto a 42'' tv as long as ur comp and ur tv have hdmi then ur all sweet :)

nah u dont need vga if u have hdmi i currently using hdmi for m comp onto a 42'' tv as long as ur comp and ur tv have hdmi then ur all sweet :)

thats a tv tho shes talkin about usign an hdmi monitor? but im pretty sure hdmi monitors have built in audio speakers correct me if im wrong

thats a tv tho shes talkin about usign an hdmi monitor? but im pretty sure hdmi monitors have built in audio speakers correct me if im wrong

yer well if there is no speakers u can just plug some in or use a 3mm audio jack to audio cable (red and white) which i'm doing so i can use my Surround sound.