Sign in to follow this  
DoseSociety

Is Visual Basic Helpful to Learn?

Is learning visual basic an important stepping stone in learning programming? I was wondering if it is actually helpful for someone with no experience to learn. For example could learning visual basic help when you move to a language such as python?

Yes. The syntax is very textual, there aren't many symbols. It's like talking to a stupid person when you write Visual Basic. But if your goal is to learn another language, then maybe you should just learn that language.

If your goal is to understand concepts of programming, then Visual Basic is a good start for OOP, but it definitely does not paint the whole picture.

11 hours ago, Arix said:

Yes. The syntax is very textual, there aren't many symbols. It's like talking to a stupid person when you write Visual Basic. But if your goal is to learn another language, then maybe you should just learn that language.

If your goal is to understand concepts of programming, then Visual Basic is a good start for OOP, but it definitely does not paint the whole picture.

Thanks for your meaningful response :) Yeah unfortunately I need to understand concepts of programming. Been going through the VB and honestly its kind of pain staking with the massive amounts of boiler plate.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, DoseSociety said:

Thanks for your meaningful response :) Yeah unfortunately I need to understand concepts of programming. Been going through the VB and honestly its kind of pain staking with the massive amounts of boiler plate.

python is pretty simple, it reads like text even more so than VB in my opinion. I think starting with python would be a better use of your time

8 hours ago, StevenAbraham said:

python is pretty simple, it reads like text even more so than VB in my opinion. I think starting with python would be a better use of your time

Thanks for you response, I'm just finishing a VB course right now, and I've been playing how I will study programming over the summer. Got any good all inclusive python courses you know of that I could start with?

16 hours ago, DoseSociety said:

Thanks for you response, I'm just finishing a VB course right now, and I've been playing how I will study programming over the summer. Got any good all inclusive python courses you know of that I could start with?

I usually go on https://www.udemy.com/ to get courses for things. They regularly do discounts to $10 per course no matter which one.

https://www.w3schools.com/python/default.asp  is a good resource as well.

I think the best way to learn any language is to learn a little bit, then immediately start on a project and just google how to do things you want to do.

21 hours ago, StevenAbraham said:

https://www.w3schools.com/python/default.asp  is a good resource as well.

I think the best way to learn any language is to learn a little bit, then immediately start on a project and just google how to do things you want to do.

Would you mind talking some more? I'm trying to come up with a plan for how I'm going to study programming over the summer.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:51 PM, DoseSociety said:

Would you mind talking some more? I'm trying to come up with a plan for how I'm going to study programming over the summer.

Well my first language was Java and I learned by building an RSPS. I took a short tutorial online through one of those free websites to learn basic syntax. After that I just browse through an RSPS source looking at and changing code to see how it affected the game. Soon I could read RSPS tutorials well enough to customize the server how I wanted. Once I got hired to work on Rune Z, I did a lot of googling to learn enough to add all the content the owner wanted. Since then I've enrolled in college so I've been able to solidify everything I learned while making RSPS. Even in college though I started working on a side project in addition to my course work, and googling things that I need to know how to do for my side project has probably been just as, if not more helpful than any class i've ever taken.