Sign in to follow this  
tritan67

Looking at decompiled code

Question

Im noticing a lot of code where it is class333 or class123 for example on the client. is there an strategies for finding names for these unnamed variables. I would like to know the game works and every little thing. Another example is the Models.java has a lot of number primitives but they are not named.

3 answers to this question

It's a game of determination. Trace everything back to things you DO know the name of. Figure out what things do by playing with them. For example, change values, see what happens. It requires A LOT of patience and quite a bit of skill.

But this is how I found

And as you can see, this is just a small thing and I never even finished doing it.

At one point however, you've renamed so many variables that everything starts to make sense :).

Also, if you can find a runetek source leak (they are out there), you can search for code fragments that are structurally the same, and learn a lot that way.

2 hours ago, Arix said:

It's a game of determination. Trace everything back to things you DO know the name of. Figure out what things do by playing with them. For example, change values, see what happens. It requires A LOT of patience and quite a bit of skill. 

But this is how I found

And as you can see, this is just a small thing and I never even finished doing it.

At one point however, you've renamed so many variables that everything starts to make sense :).

Also, if you can find a runetek source leak (they are out there), you can search for code fragments that are structurally the same, and learn a lot that way.

Ok cool, I shall try editing some values and see what breaks :) Im more into writing code from scratch. This is my first time diving into a big system like this. Though I did manage to make an air spell do 50K damage per strike xD

2 hours ago, tritan67 said:

Ok cool, I shall try editing some values and see what breaks :) Im more into writing code from scratch. This is my first time diving into a big system like this. Though I did manage to make an air spell do 50K damage per strike xD

I recommend using Git and regularly committing changes so you can revert if it becomes unrepairable.