Sign in to follow this  
Boundless

What should I learn before starting

Question

Hello, I'd like to make my own RSPS. I'd like to make a custom one with custom items and bosses.

What are some videos I should watch, or things I should read so that I can make this process a lot easier in the long run. 

5 answers to this question

You should, first and foremost, learn Java: http://tutorials.jenkov.com/java/index.html

Don't expect to be proficient at it after reading "some stuff". This requires A LOT of playing with, fiddling, and knowledge comes with experience.

Once you know Java enough that you feel confident you can interpret and read said code, start playing around with reverse engineering a runescape client, figuring out its ways. At this point, you may need help from other people. You will run into many obstacles, but none are impossible to overcome, especially not with the help of others. Once you got a summarized overview of how things work, you may either make your own server from scratch, or use an existing one and mess around with it. Once you are comfortable enough, you can begin crafting your custom content.

You will find that some things in RSPS are particularly hard and nobody really has a way of doing it. Those who might, probably will not want to share it.

Furthermore, it doesn't hurt to accumulate any information you can find about RSPS and RS in general, related to technology: http://rsps.wikia.com/wiki/Runescape_Private_Server

3 hours ago, Arix said:

You should, first and foremost, learn Java: http://tutorials.jenkov.com/java/index.html

Don't expect to be proficient at it after reading "some stuff". This requires A LOT of playing with, fiddling, and knowledge comes with experience.

Once you know Java enough that you feel confident you can interpret and read said code, start playing around with reverse engineering a runescape client, figuring out its ways. At this point, you may need help from other people. You will run into many obstacles, but none are impossible to overcome, especially not with the help of others. Once you got a summarized overview of how things work, you may either make your own server from scratch, or use an existing one and mess around with it. Once you are comfortable enough, you can begin crafting your custom content.

You will find that some things in RSPS are particularly hard and nobody really has a way of doing it. Those who might, probably will not want to share it.

Furthermore, it doesn't hurt to accumulate any information you can find about RSPS and RS in general, related to technology: http://rsps.wikia.com/wiki/Runescape_Private_Server

How deep into java should I learn? What kind of coding is used with RSPS? I am going to start using a website called Codecademy that I used back in highschool. I'm not sure if it will teach me the same code. It's trying to teach me about math so far lol. The next tutorial is Variables.

Edited by Boundless

4 hours ago, Boundless said:

How deep into java should I learn? What kind of coding is used with RSPS? I am going to start using a website called Codecademy that I used back in highschool. I'm not sure if it will teach me the same code. It's trying to teach me about math so far lol. The next tutorial is Variables.

Quite complete understanding is required. You will need to go through the entire course, and more. Most importantly, you will have to teach yourself by playing around with stuff. Preferrably nothing RSPS related.

13 hours ago, Boundless said:

I would just try to make stuff yourself rather than doing online courses. It helps you have a more comprehensive understanding and ensures you only learn about stuff that you care about. I see many people complete a codeacedemy or similar course but still can't figure out how to run hello world on their own machine.

9 hours ago, Arix said:

Quite complete understanding is required. You will need to go through the entire course, and more. Most importantly, you will have to teach yourself by playing around with stuff. Preferrably nothing RSPS related.

what is a complete understanding to you? I wouldn't think you need to know all the complexities of java to get started on an rsps. 

Edited by StevenAbraham

14 hours ago, StevenAbraham said:

what is a complete understanding to you? I wouldn't think you need to know all the complexities of java to get started on an rsps. 

The entire feature set of Java (not all the standard API features) is used during RSPS development. Of course that depends on the goal and the thoroughness. But, besides having a vast API, you rather quickly use all of Java's language capabilities, and the most important parts of the API (things that are commonly used, that they teach partially in courses). That being said, as per your words, you can get started with less and figure things out on the way.