Sign in to follow this  
StevenAbraham

My hard drive keeps failing, but every diagnostic I run returns fine.

I've had my laptop for a little over a year and it's preformed with no problems until recently. In the last couple of months it's crashed 3 times. The most recent time it crashed with the windows error "unexpected store exception". Right before it crashes the computer will slow down and i'll hear a clicking sound i'm assuming is coming from the hard drive. After booting it up again, the OS doesn't start and I get stuck in a BIOS menu loop. Eventually it will start working again after waiting and trying again, but each time it's taken more attempts to get it to boot correctly. Usually after I get it to work I can shut down and boot up the computer fine until the next crash. 

I ran a bunch of diagnostic tools on the drive but nothing is reporting any sort of problem. I'm still not sure if this is even a hardware problem or a software problem. I'm assuming it's the drive because of the clicking and also because the last few times it crashed while transporting it while it was on. It's weird because when it finally boots, it runs perfectly fine. It's an Asus laptop and i'm running windows 10. What the hell is wrong with this thing and how can I fix it?

I can provide any other information requested

@Christopher`

You hear clicking from the HD?

That my friend is what we call the The Click Of Death.

3 minutes ago, Cart said:

You hear clicking from the HD?

That my friend is what we call the The Click Of Death.

People on Rune-Server say its time to replace, but it's only been a year, and once it boots, everything runs fine and nothing is corrupted. I'm poor as hell and can barely pay tuition so I don't want to replace anything unless its absolutely necessary or until I can save up enough. 

Just now, StevenAbraham said:

People on Rune-Server say its time to replace, but it's only been a year, and once it boots, everything runs fine and nothing is corrupted. I'm poor as hell and can barely pay tuition so I don't want to replace anything unless its absolutely necessary or until I can save up enough. 

What model laptop is this exactly?

Maybe a circuit came unsoldered, but I don't think that would explain the clicking noise.

Despite the portability of a laptop, the hdd's usually don't like being moved, especially not harshly or with sudden shocks.

The fact that it slows down and fails to start up sometimes, indicates a problem with the drive motor. If the clicking is only a single click, then it's the boom jumping to its parked position (to protect the drive when improperly shut down). The same happens when you shut the laptop (or desktop) off by holding the power button.

If it's regular clicking (every few seconds), in Windows 10, this could mean the drive is being turned off to save power (advanced power management in Windows 10) and the parking happens each time. This could be stopped by turning off the advanced power management.

If that doesn't help, it could indicate a problem with the drive. Note that the repeated parking is also not healthy for the drive.

The BIOS will fail to POST if the drive fails to start up. I recommend switching the drive because if the motor fails forever, you'll lose all your data and recovery would cost as much as a new drive!

5 hours ago, Arix said:

Despite the portability of a laptop, the hdd's usually don't like being moved, especially not harshly or with sudden shocks.

The fact that it slows down and fails to start up sometimes, indicates a problem with the drive motor. If the clicking is only a single click, then it's the boom jumping to its parked position (to protect the drive when improperly shut down). The same happens when you shut the laptop (or desktop) off by holding the power button.

If it's regular clicking (every few seconds), in Windows 10, this could mean the drive is being turned off to save power (advanced power management in Windows 10) and the parking happens each time. This could be stopped by turning off the advanced power management.

If that doesn't help, it could indicate a problem with the drive. Note that the repeated parking is also not healthy for the drive.

The BIOS will fail to POST if the drive fails to start up. I recommend switching the drive because if the motor fails forever, you'll lose all your data and recovery would cost as much as a new drive!

I use cloud storage for anything remotely important to me, so I don't really care much about data recovery. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure most of the crashes occur when I'm moving the computer around while its on. I knew that was a thing with hdds but I figured I wasn't being that rough. 

Also anyone with an ssd, do you think it is worth the extra dough? Please keep in mind money is tight right now for me but I do appreciate good performance. 

3 hours ago, StevenAbraham said:

I use cloud storage for anything remotely important to me, so I don't really care much about data recovery. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure most of the crashes occur when I'm moving the computer around while its on. I knew that was a thing with hdds but I figured I wasn't being that rough. 

Also anyone with an ssd, do you think it is worth the extra dough? Please keep in mind money is tight right now for me but I do appreciate good performance. 

You've got the click of death. If it's only a year old, you should be under warranty still. What I suggest is buying a large external drive, and copy the contents of your hard drive onto the external. Once you get your new drive, simply move the copied contents back.

Also, SSDs are legitimately a necessity. They're so vital, and so great to have. You can find a decent sized SSD (for your OS, select apps, and a few games) for anywhere like $70 USD - $115 USD.