Sign in to follow this  
Time

[TopList] Sorting Options

Currently with the toplist, the only way to find a server is to navigate through page by page, or to search for a server by revision or name. I think it would be a nice addition to be able to have different toplist sorting options. 

Some options could include: 

- Newest

- Most Votes (Day/Week/Month)

- Longest Up-time

Edited by Time

6 minutes ago, Corncob said:

Don't think runelocus tracks uptime anymore 

If possible, it'd be a cool addition again. But that's just one of the potential sorting options

23 hours ago, Time said:

If possible, it'd be a cool addition again. But that's just one of the potential sorting options

It's not really useful seeing as most servers are up and running 99 to 100% of the time. Besides, it's way too easy to just fill in an IP address that is online 24/7 to spoof the uptime. That is what happened, and why it was removed later on.

As for the others, that is something to look into. We did use to have a list showing new servers... the issue was just that people constantly kept removing and re-adding their server to keep themselves on the list haha. 

19 minutes ago, Ikiliki said:

the issue was just that people constantly kept removing and re-adding their server to keep themselves on the list haha. 

Could you add something to prevent them from reposting for like 24 hours after removing?

4 minutes ago, Ziek` said:

Could you add something to prevent them from reposting for like 24 hours after removing?

8 years ago I could. But nowadays everyone knows about using proxies to create new accounts... just like they manage to cheat vote on the toplist.

4 hours ago, Ikiliki said:

8 years ago I could. But nowadays everyone knows about using proxies to create new accounts... just like they manage to cheat vote on the toplist.

Not to mention people would re-submit as another server and post ads.

I like the idea of showing more than just a name and a link. Minecraft servers do this via the query port. A port specifically designed to get data such as message of the day, players online and any other information you want. Measurements could be put in place for cheaters (because unlike the community of Minecraft, people will definitely try to cheat this system, mainly targetting player count). But cheating can be solved in a number of ways.

In any case, if Runelocus receives more data, more fancy stuff can be done that makes the toplist more interesting. :)

Possible filtering on tags received from the server, filter on descriptions, player count, ...

That's just my two cents.

6 hours ago, Arix said:

I like the idea of showing more than just a name and a link. Minecraft servers do this via the query port. A port specifically designed to get data such as message of the day, players online and any other information you want. Measurements could be put in place for cheaters (because unlike the community of Minecraft, people will definitely try to cheat this system, mainly targetting player count). But cheating can be solved in a number of ways.

In any case, if Runelocus receives more data, more fancy stuff can be done that makes the toplist more interesting. :)

Possible filtering on tags received from the server, filter on descriptions, player count, ...

That's just my two cents.

Completely agree. That'd be a really awesome way to make the list somewhat more dynamic too. But that'll require server-end work though...

6 minutes ago, Ikiliki said:

Completely agree. That'd be a really awesome way to make the list somewhat more dynamic too. But that'll require server-end work though...

Yes, that's a difficulty. Minecraft has the querying protocol built in, RSPS does not. There could be a library released together with a way to hook it up, but that leaves a security risk for people that know what they're doing. Then again, that goes for Minecraft as well, yet nobody abuses the system.