Sign in to follow this  
SiniSoul

Runelocus Content Direction

The issue with providing how-to's/tutorials for private servers is that they're all different. You could write a tutorial for a 530 server, but no beginner or intermediate developer would be able to interpret it if they use a different source/client. So when you write a tutorial (unless it can be applied to a general topic like SQL, networking, core, ect..), it only applies to like 2% of the actual RSPS developer population. No matter how much information you write up, you'll never be able to catch up to the ever expanding source & client growth.

20 hours ago, Hope said:

The issue with providing how-to's/tutorials for private servers is that they're all different. You could write a tutorial for a 530 server, but no beginner or intermediate developer would be able to interpret it if they use a different source/client. So when you write a tutorial (unless it can be applied to a general topic like SQL, networking, core, ect..), it only applies to like 2% of the actual RSPS developer population. No matter how much information you write up, you'll never be able to catch up to the ever expanding source & client growth.

Not necessarily trying to catch up simply for the expansion of our resources, we just want some more traffic :) Even if they are how-to's that only reach 2% of the community, if it's a fairly popular tutorial, or if we have enough of them, more people will find them via Google search. Eventually people will start to register and become more active.

I'll talk to Cart about what he thinks about this.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:31 PM, SiniSoul said:

I'll talk to Cart about what he thinks about this.

Why??

Topic cleaned, stay on-topic or do not post.

Hey guys!

Fortunately (haven't used that word in a while, eh?), within the upcoming months, I am going to find some time opening within my schedule. I'm not sure how many months. Could be the very start of January, might not be until July. Either way, within some rather vague-timing of months, my schedule will have opened by estimatedly 54 extra hours per-week. We're finally hiring a 2nd senior engineer at my place of employment, I finally won't be the only boss! However, this certain individual is currently employed states away, and the transfer will take some time.

What this means is - during the extra 50, give or take, hours freed up, I will have time to actually partake in what was discussed in this thread. When I'm finally not living at work, I'll start a private server project (posted publicly for once). Whilst working on my project, I will be actively writing tutorials based on the source my project will use. Hopefully they'll be ones to draw in some traffic, that'd be nice :) However, if anyone has some suggestions for something they'd like me to write - please make them! I'll be taking notes on who suggested what, and you will be accredited in the tutorial for your suggestion.

I literally just got the news from my employer, and immediately made this post. During the time of me writing this, I'm actually still sitting in his office. Quite the spontaneous news for me, we haven't even been talking about hiring. It makes sense, though. I'm very excited :)

Haven't been here in quite some time once again but I believe that we could use a blog that's updated weekly on new content and tutorials. :)

I talked to Cart and he's putting something together soon.