Fallout

Current life thread.

I work as a software consultant. I sometimes sleep too. On good days.

1 hour ago, Arix said:

I work as a software consultant. I sometimes sleep too. On good days.

i duno wat sleep is anymore

Well I'm in Afghanistan, so 

Edited by Sethy

Any of you work the graveyard shift with me? Whether it be a sequencing shift, or irremissible shifts, it's all the same. I don't meet many people that do, and when I'm at work, there's usually only a three-man team; including myself.

Very nice. How long have you worked the graveyard? What kind of experience is it?

Was previously doing government contracting, but now I'm doing work for Monsanto. Less fun than the government stuff, but the pay and benefits are waaaay better. :)

School is kind of worthless where I live. If you have the skill, you get the job. And there's a (fairly early) point that experience outweighs a degree. I only have a GED, for instance. So I kind of quit the whole school thing. Wasn't learning anything anyways. 

2 hours ago, Gigi said:

Was previously doing government contracting, but now I'm doing work for Monsanto. Less fun than the government stuff, but the pay and benefits are waaaay better. :)

School is kind of worthless where I live. If you have the skill, you get the job. And there's a (fairly early) point that experience outweighs a degree. I only have a GED, for instance. So I kind of quit the whole school thing. Wasn't learning anything anyways. 

3VSDn5S.jpg

Not sure about other places, but where I live (St. Louis) it's really not that bad. St. Louis has LaunchCode, which is actually how I got my first job (at 19, with no professional experience or degree). Not much of a surprise though, considering how starved the area is for good developers. They tend to not care about degrees as long as you're a relatively competent programmer. 

51 minutes ago, Gigi said:

Not sure about other places, but where I live (St. Louis) it's really not that bad. St. Louis has LaunchCode, which is actually how I got my first job (at 19, with no professional experience or degree). Not much of a surprise though, considering how starved the area is for good developers. They tend to not care about degrees as long as you're a relatively competent programmer. 

Belgium is like this too. The company I work for actually called me to invite me instead of me contacting them.