Sign in to follow this  
Teek

issues with my PC

So.. out of no where my pc randomly shuts off. When it turns off no warning no nothing you hear a noise and the power just cuts.

Sometimes when I start my PC it doesn't turn on. I have to turn it off by the back then switch it on then click the button. 

Does anyone know the issue? is it my power supply? motherboard? ram?? overheating?? 

any help would be much appreciated. :) 

There could actually be multiple reasons for this. I'll go ahead and try to break it down into sections and give you my personal input. Arranged from best to worst case scenario. Hopefully, your issue will be the very first on my list.

Assuming the clicking noises has nothing to due with your laptop shutting off, one could only hope that it would be your power supply on the frits. Sometimes, usually during electrical storms, your power supply will receive a surge which will either 'kill it', or cause some sort of damage to it. You could either replace it, or take it somewhere and have someone perform CPR on it. Which usually consists of giving it a controlled surge in order to revitalize it.

Another case could be that your CMOS battery is acting faulty. For the standard, you would normally receive some sort of error message regarding this upon startup, and/or your laptop's clock will consistently reset itself to default.

It could also be that your harddrive is giving out. Usually, it doesn't make any noises and gives you no warning if this is the case. However, in some cases, it will make some noise and give you premature signs. If this is the case, be sure to run virus scans, check registries, and ensure you do not have any corrupted memory in the laptop. Sometimes, though, it doesn't mean anything that your harddrive makes noises. There's spinning platters that store memory, and sometimes they can be noisy.

I don't think it could be your laptop is overheating, as you can usually turn your computer back on immediately afterwords.

However, if the clicking noises is what directly causes your laptop's problems, it could be a bit more dire. One scenario could simply be that your optical drive, that spins up randomly. If there is no disc in the drive, it could be that it's getting old and faulty, with some loose parts in it.

The worst case scenario could be that your HDD is dying. If this is the case, I would recommend backing up all and any data from your HDD and pray for the best. If your HDD goes out, it's probably better just to buy a new laptop.

So, if your laptop's issues have nothing to due with your clicking noises, it may just be your laptop's fan going aflutter. This is actually pretty common, and really nothing to worry about. It's the standard wear and tear noises fans will make after a while of being used. Sometimes, you can just open your laptop and give it a thorough cleaning and you will no longer fret about the scary clicks.

Edited by Gemu

3 hours ago, Gemu said:

There could actually be multiple reasons for this. I'll go ahead and try to break it down into sections and give you my personal input. Arranged from best to worst case scenario. Hopefully, your issue will be the very first on my list.

Assuming the clicking noises has nothing to due with your laptop shutting off, one could only hope that it would be your power supply on the frits. Sometimes, usually during electrical storms, your power supply will receive a surge which will either 'kill it', or cause some sort of damage to it. You could either replace it, or take it somewhere and have someone perform CPR on it. Which usually consists of giving it a controlled surge in order to revitalize it.

Another case could be that your CMOS battery is acting faulty. For the standard, you would normally receive some sort of error message regarding this upon startup, and/or your laptop's clock will consistently reset itself to default.

It could also be that your harddrive is giving out. Usually, it doesn't make any noises and gives you no warning if this is the case. However, in some cases, it will make some noise and give you premature signs. If this is the case, be sure to run virus scans, check registries, and ensure you do not have any corrupted memory in the laptop. Sometimes, though, it doesn't mean anything that your harddrive makes noises. There's spinning platters that store memory, and sometimes they can be noisy.

I don't think it could be your laptop is overheating, as you can usually turn your computer back on immediately afterwords.

However, if the clicking noises is what directly causes your laptop's problems, it could be a bit more dire. One scenario could simply be that your optical drive, that spins up randomly. If there is no disc in the drive, it could be that it's getting old and faulty, with some loose parts in it.

The worst case scenario could be that your HDD is dying. If this is the case, I would recommend backing up all and any data from your HDD and pray for the best. If your HDD goes out, it's probably better just to buy a new laptop.

So, if your laptop's issues have nothing to due with your clicking noises, it may just be your laptop's fan going aflutter. This is actually pretty common, and really nothing to worry about. It's the standard wear and tear noises fans will make after a while of being used. Sometimes, you can just open your laptop and give it a thorough cleaning and you will no longer fret about the scary clicks.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply and help me. Firstly, I'm using a computer. When it does shut off it makes the nose as I turned off my PC by the power cord which is why I assumed it was my power supply. Secondly, I no longer store data in my PCs HDD. I got into the habit of using an external HDD (preference and stability since the issues occurred). Finally, I took my computer apart from a clean not too long ago, I also applied some new thermal paste. When the PC randomly turns off the first thing I do is check the TEMP manually and it's never hot (custom cooling is OP). What should I do? just try replacing my power supply?  

2 hours ago, Teek said:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply and help me. Firstly, I'm using a computer. When it does shut off it makes the nose as I turned off my PC by the power cord which is why I assumed it was my power supply. Secondly, I no longer store data in my PCs HDD. I got into the habit of using an external HDD (preference and stability since the issues occurred). Finally, I took my computer apart from a clean not too long ago, I also applied some new thermal paste. When the PC randomly turns off the first thing I do is check the TEMP manually and it's never hot (custom cooling is OP). What should I do? just try replacing my power supply?  

What I would recommend is getting it diagnosed. A lot of places will diagnose what is causing your computer's issues for a small payment of $20-$50, and then you could also pay them to fix it for you (if they have the means to do so). If it is your power supply, that can usually be repaired with ease for about $10, not exactly necessary to replace it. However, if you want extreme prevention measures, the best thing to do would be replacing it. If that is what's giving your computer problems.

I also like the fact that you use an external HDD :smile:

9 hours ago, Gemu said:

What I would recommend is getting it diagnosed. A lot of places will diagnose what is causing your computer's issues for a small payment of $20-$50, and then you could also pay them to fix it for you (if they have the means to do so). If it is your power supply, that can usually be repaired with ease for about $10, not exactly necessary to replace it. However, if you want extreme prevention measures, the best thing to do would be replacing it. If that is what's giving your computer problems.

I also like the fact that you use an external HDD :smile:

Why pay for a diagnosed when I could probably find the issue myself? xD Ughh.. I'll just try different parts and see if the issue is concurrent or not. And yess external is the way forward. :)

Hey, sorry, just saw this.

Hit Windows + R, type in Eventvwr.msc

Find a time/day/occurrence that  your computer just turned off, copy it, and paste it here for me, please.

On 10/25/2016 at 0:18 AM, Christopher` said:

Hey, sorry, just saw this.

Hit Windows + R, type in Eventvwr.msc

Find a time/day/occurrence that  your computer just turned off, copy it, and paste it here for me, please.

ughh so many options which ones tho

1 minute ago, Teek said:

ughh so many options which ones tho

Whenever your computer unexpectedly turned itself off.  There will be quite a bit, so pretty much any of the Errors.

4 hours ago, Christopher` said:

Whenever your computer unexpectedly turned itself off.  There will be quite a bit, so pretty much any of the Errors.

kk, when it occurs again I'll show the logs.