Teek

Advice for the MSI GTX 1060

Out of curiousity.. does anyone have the MSI GTX 1060 3GB model? if so is it worth purchasing one? theirs a 70-100GBP difference between the 3gb/6gb and by the looks of the benchmark it doesn't look like it's worth paying that extra money. 

More gpu memory does not mean better performance. If your resolution is higher you will use more memory, so if you have a giant resolution, or two monitors with giant resolution, you'll definitely need more memory. We're talking 4K textures etc then.

I'm unaware of games using more than 3GB memory on a normal resolution (single monitor 1920x1080) so I guess it doesn't really matter if you have such a resolution/monitor setup.

37 minutes ago, Arix said:

More gpu memory does not mean better performance. If your resolution is higher you will use more memory, so if you have a giant resolution, or two monitors with giant resolution, you'll definitely need more memory. We're talking 4K textures etc then.

I'm unaware of games using more than 3GB memory on a normal resolution (single monitor 1920x1080) so I guess it doesn't really matter if you have such a resolution/monitor setup.

Of course. They must be different, I've seen the bench mark. You get around 10% more frames on the 6gb. And yes, I couldn't agree more. I'm using an acer 24" 144hz monitor. (cs:go try hard :P)

On 10/2/2016 at 8:00 AM, Arix said:

Honestly I would just get 6GB model without a doubt future proofing your GPU for the next generation of games.

I'd say if you have the money to do so, go with the 6GB, you probably won't have to think about it again for at least a couple of years

On 10/5/2016 at 1:26 PM, Hds said:

I'd say if you have the money to do so, go with the 6GB, you probably won't have to think about it again for at least a couple of years

3gb is fine tho, when am I ever gonna use more than 3? lol

On 10/23/2016 at 11:39 PM, Teek said:

3gb is fine tho, when am I ever gonna use more than 3? lol

I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't even see why you'd ask such a question. 

Depends on how much money you have to blow and what you do with your system and whether you want to show off your beefy computer to everyone on runelocus, do your own research with google and other sources

http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

On 10/2/2016 at 1:39 PM, Teek said:

You get around 10% more frames on the 6gb.